Another new guy with an old machine

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

daGrouch

Another new guy with an old machine

Post by daGrouch »

Howdy!

The midlife crisis I am currently in the clutches of included thinking a lathe or something would be a good thing to have around the garage. After much consideration, and probably a hormonal imbalance, I bought an old Smithy CB1220 / Clark CL500M. Since then it's been sleepless nights in the garage, money flying from my wallet and the missus challenging me at the door as she has forgotten what I look like.

I bought the machine bare bones (no gears or tooling) and really had no idea what it would take to even be able to use it. But I digress - most of us have been there and done that.

So, while waiting on some turning passes I stopped by to say "Hello". I am currently working on a tail stock mod as 1 lousy inch of useable travel is just too small IMHO. I am making the new and longer 12 x 1.75 LH screw shaft first as if I bugger up anywhere it will be on this piece.

I have been learning a lot about precision (cough) machinery and steadily addressing my machine's flaws and shortcomings. I would go to true up a part on my HF band sander and find something that annoyed me on the lathe and switch tracks to fix that. Weeks later I would eventually get back to the sander.

If anything it's been a good learning experience and time sucker upper. :) I blame Keith Fenner, MrPete, Myfordboy and the rest for getting me snared in this. They made it look so easy and fun and what I was really seeing was years of experience and wisdom being used to make it seem that way.

To All that can make a piece the right size the FIRST time without loss of skin, blood, and whatever marbles you had left - I salute you!

Ed
Ed
My YouTube channel

Re: Another new guy with an old machine

Post by ken572 »

daGrouch (Ed)

Welcome to the The Home Machinist. 8)

You might want to put your (Worldly Location) in
your (Profile) so it will show up under your name,
and to the left of all of your post’s. :wink:

3rd line from the top you mention that you have
CB1220 / Clark CL500M

Under signature line you show
Smithy CB-1220XL / Clark CL500M

The CB1220 / Clark CL500M
are pretty much the same.

The Smithy CB-1220XL is very different.

Was this just a type-o, and if so which one do
you have.

Do you have the manuals for it. :?:

Ken. :)
Last edited by ken572 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Your experiences sound SOOOO familiar. Especially the complaints from She Who Must Be Obeyed over the time and money :lol:

Welcome to our disease!
daGrouch

Post by daGrouch »

Thanks for the welcome and heads-up!

I have the extended table, square thread lead screws, no half-nut or saddle rack...yet, and I have to open the door to engage the heads. The Smithy manuals seem to cover the later revisions (had I only known) so between the Smithy and Clark manuals I get most of the info needed.

As for the little woman, she can't make up her mind. She can't decide whether to lock me out of the garage or IN it. :P

Disease..LOL. A very apt analogy. Lots of OCD involved.

Hopefully I will learn some tricks to share and make some friends along the way.

Ed
Ed
My YouTube channel

Post by daGrouch »

Adding some pics to be annoying :P

Here is the machine and assorted clutter.
The THING in all its nauseating glory.
The THING in all its nauseating glory.
The small tailstock travel was a bit limiting as I ran out of thread near 1.25 inches.
Small tailstock
Small tailstock
So I did extended the housing a bit with 6160 and turned a new screw shaft from CRS. I really need to get some free machining steel to try out.
Extended tail stock
Extended tail stock
Now I have enough travel to reach over the table and drill with something longer than a center bit.
That's better
That's better
At the right edge of the apron you can see that the feed nut has been relocated to favor the head stock end. This gives me little more use of the mill.
Moved feed nut
Moved feed nut
I have replaced the AC motor with a treadmill motor and a KB braking controller. The KB is mucho nicer than the MC-40 controller I started with. I also have steppers on the X and Z screws but haven't found a satisfactory solution for the mill with all its slop.

Questions and comments welcome.
Ed
My YouTube channel

Post by ken572 »

Ed,

Keep up the good work. :wink:

Thanks for the progress report and pictures. 8)

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.