Making the rests

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

daGrouch

Making the rests

Post by daGrouch »

Hi Guys,

For my first major, for me anyway, undertaking I want to build the rests for my machine. I am going to do a close copy of the Smithy items this time around.

I am hoping someone has some detail pics of a rest, maybe some rough dimensions and a disassembled adjuster. My mental x-ray vision comes up with a few possibilities but I don't want to make things more complicated than they need to be.

The plan so far is to try lost foam casting and aluminum. I worry about resonation and ringing and considered maybe milling pockets and filling with lead (if I can get any - scrap yards won't sell it to me) to act as a damper.

Also, for those that use them, are there any shortcomings or issues with the stock designs I can address during my build?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I was also thinking of trying to do a YT vid of the project if anyone would be interested.

Thanks,
Ed
My YouTube channel

Re: Making the rests

Post by Torch »

daGrouch wrote: filling with lead (if I can get any - scrap yards won't sell it to me)
Try an autobody supply shop -- a professional shop. The really high quality body repairs always used to use lead rather than bondo and it may still be available that way.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Torch wrote:
daGrouch wrote: filling with lead (if I can get any - scrap yards won't sell it to me)
Try an autobody supply shop -- a professional shop. The really high quality body repairs always used to use lead rather than bondo and it may still be available that way.
I used to pick up old wheel weights from tire shops, and those places that were known as 'service stations'.....that no longer exist.
You might give that a shot.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

warmstrong1955 wrote:I used to pick up old wheel weights from tire shops, and those places that were known as 'service stations'.....that no longer exist.
You might give that a shot.
Indications are wheel weights are no longer made of lead and antimony. In spite of the fact that it weighs far less, they are now being made of steel.

I truly feel that we are being railroaded by some of the restrictions being placed on us, but then that tends to turn to a political discussion, so I'll say no more.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

You should be able to get lead from any supplier of blackpowder shooting supplies. Brownell's lists wheel-weight metal for $29.99 for 10 pounds...

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/bull ... 57145.aspx

Also, if there's an oldfashioned print-shop around, they might sell you either lead or type-metal, which is lead/antimony. (I know, those shops are getting scarce in this era of compuker-printing.)
Pete in NJ
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

After you get through chasing around, any plumbing supply store that handles cast iron sewer lines will have lead in brick or bar form, about a dollar a pound. If you have a local scrap /recycle dealer, make a plea there. Wheel weights, rolls of solder, lead chimney flashing, all will appear here. Some solder my be desirable as it shrinks less than lead, and 50-50 solder nearly none at all.

If you do this, just see if your slugs are loose after cast, and if they are, half a tube of slow setting epoxy repair 2-part will flow in and stop that nonsense. The slugs have to be tight in order to cancel vibrations. You will never hear of a lead bell.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Harold_V wrote: Indications are wheel weights are no longer made of lead and antimony. In spite of the fact that it weighs far less, they are now being made of steel.

I truly feel that we are being railroaded by some of the restrictions being placed on us, but then that tends to turn to a political discussion, so I'll say no more.

Harold
Well....how'd I miss that change?
I just looked at my pickup wheels. The weights have 'Fe' cast right in 'em.

Glad I have a couple buckets of the ol' lead weights.

I agree with being railroaded......and will also shut up.....

:(
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Good Morning, :D

Note:One possible source for some real LEAD
would be a small Chrome Plating Job Shop that
might have some drop off's or cut off's of LEAD
ANODES left over from a Maintenance Change Over.
It never hurts to ask. :wink:

EDIT-ALSO: http://www.nuclead.com/

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
chooch

Post by chooch »

How about all the guys the boss said had lead in their butt. Just couldn`t help it. :roll:
chooch
NateD

Post by NateD »

Try a scuba diving shop. Most dive weight are lead, solid and shot.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

daGrouch wrote:Hi Guys,

For my first major, for me anyway, undertaking I want to build the rests for my machine. I am going to do a close copy of the Smithy items this time around.

I am hoping someone has some detail pics of a rest, maybe some rough dimensions and a disassembled adjuster. My mental x-ray vision comes up with a few possibilities but I don't want to make things more complicated than they need to be.

The plan so far is to try lost foam casting and aluminum. I worry about resonation and ringing and considered maybe milling pockets and filling with lead (if I can get any - scrap yards won't sell it to me) to act as a damper.

Also, for those that use them, are there any shortcomings or issues with the stock designs I can address during my build?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I was also thinking of trying to do a YT vid of the project if anyone would be interested.

Thanks,
Ed :D

Check this out: 8)
http://www.kinzers.com/don/MachineTools ... dyrest.jpg

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.