Smithy CB 1220-XL

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

NateD

Re: Smithy CB 1220-XL

Post by NateD »

Mill you own pulleys? All I found was a name on mine, no size.
NateD

Post by NateD »

Between working more than full time and going to night school to earn my engineering degree, there's not much time left to play. I have tightened up the compound and got this sweet little kit! One item of many off the wish list
Attachments
IMG_1109.jpg
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Good Morning :!: NateD, :D

Congratulations, on all your hard work in managing
your time with WORK, SCHOOL, and FAMILY.
You will never regret your efforts.
It also makes your play time more fun as well..

Been there, Done that.

Keep up the good work, and stay focused. :wink:

I enjoy stories of success like your’s. 8)

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
NateD

Post by NateD »

It's been quite a while since I've had "free time" just finished up Calc III and getting ready to start Differential Equations. I finally got around to making the simple modifications to mount my quick change tool post. Really want to start on some projects.
IMG_1507.jpg
Need to pick up another magnetic based dial indicator for my poor mans DRO and a #3 MT collet system for the mill. Slowly but surely...
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Looking good! Keep at it and make some projects.
daGrouch

Post by daGrouch »

Did you go with AXA or AX0 on the toolpost? I went AXA and it barely drops low enough to center some of my tooling.

As for collets I really like the ER40 set and use it 99% of the time but sometimes you need more room on the mill and the MT3 is the only answer. The good part is they are easy to make and are the first parts I made on mine. If you already have an MT3 arbor then you have a template for the taper angle.
Or you could get the mt3 to er40 kit and use that as a template to make the others as you need them :)

Use a draw rod on the mill and try not to over tighten the taper as it can take a lot of whacking to get it back out. Some folks have broken the mill head casting that way. Another Plus for the ER setup. You can mount the collet chuck with just enough force to keep it snug and then crank on the chuck to hold the bits.
Ed
My YouTube channel

Post by NateD »

It's an AXA, Ed. Thanks for the advice on the collets. I was going to go MT3 because it's easy way out :). Care to post any pics of your mill set up with the collets, especially the ones you made :)
Last edited by NateD on Fri May 22, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
NateD

Post by NateD »

Never mind, just ordered the an ER collet set to get me started.
NateD

Post by NateD »

Did a little shop organizing and made a simple mod to the lathe. I got tired of, whenever I had to open the back cover to change gears or engage the feed, having to remove long stock to do it. So cut a slot in the cover so I wouldn't have to anymore. Need to clean it up with a grinder yet, but the finance minister called, so.... Also made a shelf for the quick change tool holders.
IMG_1538.jpg
IMG_1539.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'm not convinced you made a sound decision.

One of the reasons the gear train is fully enclosed is to eliminate chips from entering the gears when they're in operation. That open slot, especially on top, invites them readily, as it does shop dirt, too.

Were that my situation, I think I'd make a cover, quick disconnect. Easier access, yet protected.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Torch

Post by Torch »

I was thinking along the same lines -- finish it with a pair of rubber "seals" that meet 1/2 way along the slot.
NateD

Post by NateD »

Hmm, good point. I'll find some rubber to make the split seal. Thanks for the insight on that