1.5" Scale, 4-3/4" Gauge 4-6-0 Castings For Sale

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Ben_Smith

1.5" Scale, 4-3/4" Gauge 4-6-0 Castings For Sale

Post by Ben_Smith »

I've got an extra set of castings for a Warren Weston - Gail Gish narrow gauge D&RGW T-12 4-6-0. These are 1.5" scale 4-3/4" gauge. I have an identical chassis ready for air and don't need this additional set. I've also got a complete set of prints. I believe this is quite likely to be the last set of these castings out there. When built the engine is about the size of a 1" LE Pacific. The set includes two sets of cylinders, machined frame, machined drivers & journals, machined eccentrics and a handful of machined bits for the spring rigging plus a lead truck just about done. Also included are castings for the brakes, spring rigging, smoke box, crossheads, cylinder heads and valve boxes and a whole host of other stuff. I think the only castings needed to have a full set are the tender wheels and journals but those can be had from Jeff Smith. $700 is a fair price. Feel free to call 402-304-3685 or email ben@firesmithtools.com
Attachments
t12-2.jpg
t12-1.jpg
t12-3.jpg
t12-4.jpg
t12-5.jpg
Last edited by Ben_Smith on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official card-carrying member of "The Shay Drag Racing Team"
SteveM

Re: 1.5" Scale, 4-3/4" Gauge 4-6-0 Castings For Sale

Post by SteveM »

Interesting looking frame - lot of space between the rear drivers and the other two.

Do you have a picture of what the locomotive looks like?

Steve
Ben_Smith

Post by Ben_Smith »

This would be built into a very accurate model of a D&RGW T-12. Gail and Warren serialized this locomotive in Moteltec in the mid 1980's using measurements from the prototype at the Colorado RR Museum. The prints cover a tremendous amount of the detail parts as well. Here's a couple pics of the prototype and the model produced by PBL. Dave Gumz built an engine from these castings and prints. I borrowed the pic from another thread on the Chaski board.
Attachments
D&RGW%20T-12.jpg
T12-174-Blk-LH34-14.jpg
DaveG460.jpg
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Interesting. Thanks!

Steve
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

Perhaps the info about the research for developing this model from measurements at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, CO are lost in the "haze of history." The only surviving T-12 locomotives are displayed by the Cities of Alamosa, CO & Colorado Springs, CO. The only narrow gauge ten wheeler at the Colorado Railroad Museum is RGS #20 (ex F&CC) now undergoing a restoration for them in Strasburg, PA. It is a Schenectady product while I believe the T-12's were Baldwin's. Never the less, I agree the T-12's were very handsome locomotives and one of my favorites. I had a model in HOn3 at one time & have kicked myself for selling it.

If I had a shop & machinery, I would love to build this.
Jim, Former railroader, fascinated by wood working & “all things engineered”.
Ben_Smith

Post by Ben_Smith »

Yup, you are absolutely correct. I just looked through the article and the two engine are in Alamosa and Colorado Springs. Chalk it up to a brain fart, I guess.

Looks like I have a buyer. Unless something changes, this setup is now sold.
mcdeo

Post by mcdeo »

There are potential talks with Alamosa City and C&TS to restore the T-12 down there. With the 491 (K-37) now running at the CO Museum, the #20 is slow to be restored.
marshall5

Post by marshall5 »

The guys in Alamosa are still working away,albeit slowly, on T-12 No169. It is 168 at Colorado Springs which may go to the C&TS - in fact, just this week, the Friends announced that the Parks and Rec had unanimously approved the deal and now it goes to the City Council. A great looking little locomotive in 1.5 and 12" scales.
Ray.
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

That is great news for 168. I have been hearing that she has been languishing away even after the cosmetic restoration she received several years ago. I fell in love with this class after reading the escapades about Luis Lathrop in "Little Engines & Big Men" many years ago. These were iconic machines visualized by the Chili Line D&RGW branch photos. I am glad the 169 is still getting some attention as well.
Jim, Former railroader, fascinated by wood working & “all things engineered”.
paralleler

Post by paralleler »

I am the new caretaker of the Dave Gumz 4-6-0 4-3/4" narrow gauge. I ran it for the first time last Saturday (4/15/2017) and it was a pure joy to operate. The locomotive has past through two hands since Dave past away. The most recent owner, who also enjoyed giving the locomotive a very nice tune-up, felt I had prospects. I will try to be worthy. I am a member of the Golden Gate Live Steamers and hopefully it will be running up there moderately often, I understand Dave used to operate it there regularly.

I also own a 7-1/2" Little Engines 0-4-0T started by Burton Miller of Pacifica. Burton had gotten it close to running on compressed air and I was told it needed piping. Turned out that even the piping was beyond me so I took it to a guy who was recommended to me. I've spent the past year working out bugs on the locomotive (replacing burner, jammed Johnson Bar, adding a drain to saddle tank, etc.). It's getting really close now.

While retired, I am also completing my first semester in Machine Shop at a local Junior College.
Attachments
Dave Gumz 4-6-0 at Golden Gate Live Steamers
Dave Gumz 4-6-0 at Golden Gate Live Steamers
7-1/2" 0-4-0T named HARLEY
7-1/2" 0-4-0T named HARLEY
HARLEY & H. C. MILLER begin sharing stories
HARLEY & H. C. MILLER begin sharing stories
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Very nice. Was your locomotive completed using the castings in the original post above?
steveleatherman

Post by steveleatherman »

Are these castings still available for sale?
Owner/Operator of BoilerSaver - "Ask the User" - www.boilersaver.com

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D