Fox trucks

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

optigman

Re: Fox trucks

Post by optigman »

Thats a great idea! I wanted heavy exterior springs but they wouldnt have worked as I am not going to have a lot of weight in the Gondolas. The exterior springs are for show as there is an inner spring that does all the real work. Now the exterior springs will have the right look and feel with the fake wire diameter. Two heads are always better than one. BTW, does anybody know what diameter the wheels were on these trucks ? Do mine look a tad too small ? Over and Out !!! Richard
R Paul Carey

Post by R Paul Carey »

Peter, can you furnish a complete pair of your Fox trucks, for 7-1/4" gauge? PM me, if you prefer. Many thanks!
optigman

Post by optigman »

The trucks themselves would be fine for 7 1/4" or 7 1/2". It is only the wheelsets that you will need to machine accordingly.
R Paul Carey

Post by R Paul Carey »

Peter, thanks for your quick response - I have been unable to locate your website. I have a small "fleet" of cars of the period and would like to show off at least one of them with your Fox trucks. I have no problem obtaining the wheelsets. Can you quote price and lead time for a set?

My email address is r-paul@msn.com.

Many thanks!

Paul.
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Produce them in 1" scale.....
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Hi R Paul, I am in the process of doing some, late spring and summer are unfortunately my busy time of year, and I am also trying to make some improvements to the patterns to speed molding them up. It's been an uphill battle, I meant to have a pile of them done in June. I will be doing them soon, I will make sure to let you know.
Cp4449, I've given serious consideration to that, seems to be an upswing in interest in the smaller scales. I still have some trucks I want to do in 1/8th first.
Oh, my website is on hiatus at the moment, that's why you probably can't find it.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
R Paul Carey

Post by R Paul Carey »

Peter, thanks for the further advice; I'll look forward to hearing from you, as your time and circumstances permit.

Paul.
optigman

Post by optigman »

As promised I am posting photos of Odd Duck's Fox trucks under my nearing completion project. Getting really close to track time. Truss Rods, Queen Posts, & coupler pockets are about all that remain. A little more paint for those items as well. Fox trucks look really good under an old gondola.
Attachments
REDUCED IMG_0552.jpg
REDUCED IMG_0553.jpg
optigman

Post by optigman »

Update on the Fox trucks and tracking. After pulling my Gondola with the Fox Trucks I am very pleased with how they track. I added no weight at all to the wood gondola and nothing ever derailed. I think these Fox trucks would also work fine for carrying a loaded car with 2-3 adults max if one decided to use them for hauling. Again, it is nice to have someone that is making these odd old style trucks at Odd Duck Foundry. Thanx Peter. Richard
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Thank you Richard! The rebuild of my patterns for these was severely derailed last year, never got back around to it yet. Glad to hear they worked well! If (and it's a big if, many irons in the fire and SWMBO has started a list of house projects for me...) I get a few things out of the way I'll see if I can get back to them.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus