Fox trucks

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

OddDuck

Re: Fox trucks

Post by OddDuck »

Okay, since I need a few extra bucks at the moment more than I need the trucks sitting in the shop, I am reducing the price of the set I have on hand to $150.00, plus shipping. I also have a set that has a few minor shrink defects on the outer "horns" , mechanically sound and probably won't be noticeable when assembled and painted that I can let go for $125.00. 'Tis the season of pouring heating oil into my house, don'tcherknow...
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
optigman

Post by optigman »

Are these Fox trucks still available? I am interested in a set if so. Richard
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

The better set is still available, the ones with the minor defects are spoken for. If you need more than one set I can cast extras, might take a few weeks, however, I've had a bit of a family emergency the last week or so and I now have projects that are very behind schedule. Either PM me or email me at oddduckfoundry (@) msn.com.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
optigman

Post by optigman »

Just curious if you might have another set of castings of your Fox trucks. I have been searching for a set of archbar trucks but might want another set of Fox trucks instead. Richard
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

None on hand at the moment, but I can cast some up in fairly short order. If you would like, email me at oddduckfoundry(at)msn.com and let me know what you need. I do have a set of Bettendorfs on hand.
optigman

Post by optigman »

Just thought I would post a few pics of "ODD DUCKS" nice Fox trucks. Peter did a very nice job on the Patterns & Castings and they were fun to machine & assemble. Take a look at the finished trucks in the photos. Richard
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Very nice pics, and you did a great job making them look good on my limited instructions. I will be doing another run of 5 or 6 sets starting later this month, holiday schedule and finances permitting. I'm also going to try to get patterns done for USRA standard pedestals and Allied full cushion trucks this winter.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Didn't they come out well, and won't they look great in application! Just curious, which car or tender model they will be supporting?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
optigman

Post by optigman »

I Have a couple of 1890's wood gondolas made from Pattern grade Honduras Mahogany I made years ago and have always wanted a set of Fox trucks for 1 of them. I am looking for a set of detailed Arch Bar trucks for the other gondola but might just go with another set of Fox. These. Fox trucks should track very good I think as all wheels are sprung and can move without affecting any other wheels. Thanx again Odd Duck for taking the time to make something ODD that nobody else supplies. Richard :lol:
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Well, why make something that everybody else is? You made 'em look great, looking forward to seeing the final product and hearing how they work out on the track.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Great looking trucks! And not just another set of cast-steel frame or archbar trucks.
I have a suggestion: get some small-diameter brown or black plastic tubing (or even wire insulation) and slip it over the coil springs to give them a fatter appearance.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Well, for the set that I did for the boxcar that PRR5406 made I used old engine valve springs, those are a bit thicker wire diameter. Don't ask me a specific motor, they were off a head that got fed to the furnace. I think it was a forklift motor, iirc.
Thanks for the compliment, Fender, by the by. He did a great job on them.