for sale: Baker frame castings

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

hwboivin3

for sale: Baker frame castings

Post by hwboivin3 »

2 Baker frame castings for sale.

9" long. 3-1/2" tall. 2-1/2" wide.

$75 plus shipping OBO
Attachments
WP_20150115_002.jpg
WP_20150115_001(2).jpg
Rob Gardner

Re: for sale: Baker frame castings

Post by Rob Gardner »

Harry, are these considered 1.5" scale or 1.6"? Who made these?

Rob
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

I'd have to verify the dimensions to the NYC Mohawk, but I think these were the same castings the Earl Mueller used for his engine. And I think there were only 2 sets made, this set and his. Not 100% sure because I've never verified that with Earl nor did I ever check the dimensions with the NYC drawings.
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

those castings came from Harold Crouch which he made for his 1 1/2 NYC 4-6-2 Pacific,its also the same castings that Earl Mueller used on the Mohawk
Joe
little giant

Post by little giant »

hwboivin3 wrote:I'd have to verify the dimensions to the NYC Mohawk, but I think these were the same castings the Earl Mueller used for his engine. And I think there were only 2 sets made, this set and his. Not 100% sure because I've never verified that with Earl nor did I ever check the dimensions with the NYC drawings.
Harold made these castings for Earl and they are in 1.5 scale. At the time he made them I was considering a 1.5 scale Niagara and made a set for myself and Bill Young who was going to build a NYC Dryfuss streamlined Hudson. Harold did not use them on his pacific, these castings are a long frame design and I thought his pacific was a built up short frame.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Harold's engine was mostly built by FLLS member Larry Smith. Larry was an Erie fan and that is what the pacific started out as. Those pacifics had Baker gear so when Harold bought the engine off of Larry, and trading his Niagara off for a 1 1/2" caboose made by Carl Chase, it already had the Baker on it. Harold commented in the FLLS video that his engine represented what the railroad might have done to modernize these engines. It was a lot of fun back then with Harold, Larry, Bob Christman and the FLLS gang.