"SOLD" Little Engines 3/4" 4-8-4 Northern

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Postwarbob

"SOLD" Little Engines 3/4" 4-8-4 Northern

Post by Postwarbob »

Picked this up 2 years ago from son (75 years old) of Man who built it . Father(92 Years old) ran it in his back yard on 50' of raised track. He also belonged to GGLS club in Ca. Don't know if he ran it there. Had a flat car (Don't Have )for water and can of coal. No Tender. First boiler (steel ) proved not to be successful so he had a copper boiler built for it off the plans book LE provided with kit. It has a combustion chamber in it just like drawings shows. Nicely done . I ran the chassis on air and it ran ok but I think it will need some reworking. I think its a bit loose?? Back to the boiler > It had some piping on the back head when I picked it up as can be seen on one of the pictures including a working gauge. I believe the missing domes are inc and only one pair of side frames are inc for the tender trucks. Good thing is that there is a set of patterns for the frames that I'm including with purchase of these pieces so you can cast some extras for sale if so desired. I also have the build book that Lewis sold with these castings. Shipping will be based on zip code. Don't know weight yet but its heavy. Machining of trucks ,Drivers ,cylinder block etc seem to be VG. There is a small corner piece missing on saddle where smoke box mounts. Should not be a problem . Won't affect bolting or air leak problem. Also inc was a new Throttle being built for smoke box. There is another Throttle inc but don't know if it didn't work or builder decieded to build a new 0ne.???
I'm asking 2000.00 for whats here . Theres a box of extra stuff inc. I know that this was the most popular 3/4" Little Engines marketed . There are a ton of them out there. Heres your chance to own one. This is the 4th one I have sold. Thanks for looking !!!
Bob..........
Attachments
DSCN9926.JPG
DSCN9927.JPG
DSCN9928.JPG
Two different throttles 1 on left is as drawn in plans
Two different throttles 1 on left is as drawn in plans
Patterns for 6 wheel truck frames and wheel pattern
Patterns for 6 wheel truck frames and wheel pattern
Last edited by Postwarbob on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bill Shields

Re: Little Engines 3/4" 4-8-4 Northern

Post by Bill Shields »

dare I ask what the boiler is soldered with?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

Bill- All silver soidered. Im going to clean the shell so its looks like its new condition. I believe the owner had it built after his steel boiler failed but never fired it. Thanks for your question.
Bob....
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

not sil-fos or cos-copper which was very common that vintage

I a friend got burned on one many years ago that was that vintage and the stuff had gone porous in the firebox..no fixing it (I tried before making a new boiler).

is OK on propane or diesel (low sulfur).

I know you wouldn't sell something with a leaky boiler....
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Bill Shields wrote:not sil-fos or cos-copper which was very common that vintage
Since Sil-fos soldered boilers do not leak until possibly after decades of use, how can you tell what type of solder was used? Is there a chemical method?
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

It's not difficult to see the difference between clean specimens if the silver solder has a silver content above 15%. There is also normally a visible difference in the shape of the flow. Phos-copper can be, and often is, built up. Silver solder normally does not build up although blobs and fillets can occur and not lay down with additional heat.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

I will say that Sil-fos is much more friendly to work with .No flux is needed and the copper only has to be clean. Not shinny. I have welded many boilers in the past and worked with 55% silver. Good old Cadium bearing . Breath deep !!! Just kidding. I got 4 rolls from the Forest service. They were tossing it because they thought it was brazing rod. I repaid lender with about 10 lbs of brazing rod and 2 cans of flux , if I remember right. Not a bad trade. Each roll of silver weighed 5 lbs I think and the wire was 1/8" Thick . Oh yes I still have a roll and its NOT FOR SALE !!!
Postwarbob

Re: Little Engines 3/4" 4-8-4 Northern. Sale pending

Post by Postwarbob »

This engine tentatively sold .
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

Original Buyer dropped out due to health issues. I will kick in 100.00 towards shipping now. Thanks Bob........
keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken »

Bill Shields wrote:not sil-fos or cos-copper which was very common that vintage

I a friend got burned on one many years ago that was that vintage and the stuff had gone porous in the firebox..no fixing it (I tried before making a new boiler).

is OK on propane or diesel (low sulfur).

I know you wouldn't sell something with a leaky boiler....
The illustrious Mr. Shields states:
"not sil-fos or cos-copper which was very common that vintage"

Would he not mean to say "Phos-Copper" ??

KRK
Bill Shields

Re: Little Engines 3/4" 4-8-4 Northern Back on the market

Post by Bill Shields »

yes....early morning type.....phos copper is an alloy used industrially. You don't see if very often in our models, but it is there. I have used it on boilers that run propane only/
Ryker Carruthers

Re: Little Engines 3/4" 4-8-4 Northern Back on the market

Post by Ryker Carruthers »

Still have it bob?