3/4" and 1-1/2" scale driver castings

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

JR May

3/4" and 1-1/2" scale driver castings

Post by JR May »

Some of you may have seen an ad on DiscoverLiveSteam for an assortment of stuff ranging from 1/2” scale to 1-1/2” scale. I ended up picking up all the 3/4” and 1-1/2” scale castings.

The attached photo is of what I would assume are 3/4” scale drivers, a shade over 5” in diameter at the tread. Of the collection, these are the cream of the crop. Very nicely done, look like nice castings. As to quantities, its 5 light weight drivers, 3 medium, and then 3 super heavy drivers. Why those counter balances are so big is beyond me.

Have also attached a shot of the 3/4” scale trailing truck frame. Not as nice as a Langworthy trailing truck, but not badly done. They have Trippe cast on them. Going back to the DLS ad, Trippe was a guy who built steam motorcycles and steam cars in the 1940s and 1950s. Looks to me like he was developing a line of live steamers as well.

If anyone has an interest in some 1-1/2” scale 9-1/4” drivers, let me know. I have 13 of them in various weights. These look to be related to a Pacific chassis Mr. Trippe was working on. I have most of the key castings for a 1-1/2” scale 72” drivered Pacific. No cylinder block though and no drawings.

I can deliver to the NJLS meet if you like.

Price wise, not real sure. Perhaps $10 each for the 3/4” drivers. $25 each for the 9-1/4” drivers. 3/4” trailing truck casting perhaps $10 each. For the 1-1/2” scale Pacific “kit” with a semi machined frame, extension, drivers, journal boxes, lead truck frame, wheels (lead and trailing) I’m thinking $500.

Email me and I can send more photos – jrmay@monmouth.com
Attachments
1-5 inch scale Pacific.JPG
Small Drivers sm.jpg
Trailing truck sm.jpg
Large drivers sm.jpg
wewilliams

Re: 3/4" and 1-1/2" scale driver castings

Post by wewilliams »

PM Sent
JR May

Post by JR May »

Sorry folks, all of the 3/4" material has been sold to a member of the Tinkerbell Nation for delivery at the NJLS meet. I'm sure Mr. Trippe would be quite happy.

The 1-1/2" drivers and such still need a good home.

J.R.
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Tinkerbell Nation.....I like the sound of that..
JR May

Post by JR May »

Just wanted to add some additional photos of the 1-1/2" scale drivers. Key seems to be that I have a group of drivers with light spokes (heavy and light counter balances) and a group of drivers with heavy spokes (heavy and light counter balances).

In short, what I have is:

Thin spoke, light counter balance – 5 each
Thin spoke, heavy counter balances – 2 each

Thick spoke, light counter balance – 4 each
Thick spoke, heavy counter balance – 2 each

In my eye, the thin spoke drivers are great for a 1-1/2” scale locomotive. The heavier spoked drivers might be nice for a narrow gauge engine on 7-1/x” gauge track.

J.R.
Attachments
Thick Spoke - Heavy.JPG
Thick Spoke - Light.JPG
Thin Spoke - Heavy.JPG
Thin Spoke - Light.JPG
BRMRR24

Post by BRMRR24 »

I sent you an email.
Brian
JR May

1-1/2" scale driver castings and Pacific Frame/kit

Post by JR May »

Still looking for a good home for the drivers and Pacific "kit." I'm open to offers or even trades for 1" scale rolling stock. Can deliver to the NJLS meet in June.
Thanks!
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

any idea what if any engine was being modeled with the pacific parts ?
19 spoke drivers were there any prototypes with that many
JR May

Post by JR May »

I too have questioned why the odd number of spokes and have looked at a number of Pacifics, whether standard gauge, narrow gauge, park train size and even live steam to no avail. Why do I even think they are for a Pacific? I have the frame for the engine, again with some odd construction techniques. The journal boxes are somewhat similar to the old LE Northern and then the rear frame cradle or extension is a very heavy casting. I have attached a photo of the frame to include the pony truck. I have no trailing truck casting, but do have some parts that may make it up.
Attachments
Pacific Frame sm.jpg
JR May

1-1/2" scale driver castings

Post by JR May »

Still have these drivers for sale here. The small scale drivers have been sold.

Looking at $25 each for the 9-1/4” drivers or best offer. I have two complete sets for a Pacific (12 total), either with thick spokes or with narrow spokes. Believe it to be a CNJ prototype, G3 or a G4.

Or, I would be willing to sell the 1-1/2” scale Pacific “kit” based on these drivers with a semi machined frame, extension, drivers, journal boxes, lead truck frame, wheels (lead and trailing). $500 or best offer.