Coupler source?

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

rassel1986

Re: Coupler source?

Post by rassel1986 »

Hi everybody. Maybe anyone knows why Draft Gear TF-880 is not using in Canada? This model is patented by Minerent Enterprises. But unfortunately this model is not using in Canada and African Railways. WHy?
rassel1986

Post by rassel1986 »

If someone has information about TF-880 and Mark 70E draft gears i will be so grateful to discuss.

These two manufacturers are giant in the world. But which one is the best. for which reasons? I can not find any other comments about these draft gears without manufacturers.

Is anyone knows these draft gears please be so kind to share opinions? Which of them is more effectively save the wagons?
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

LIALLEGHENY wrote:Does anyone have a source for 3" scale steel couplers? I heard that RMI bought out the 3" stuff from Real trains, but they haven't responded to my inquiry .....also told that Ehrich in Colorado may have something....anyone else I might try?

Thanks, Nyle
We use 3" scale couplers at the mesa grande western. Recently a third party took one of our couplers and made a new pattern set. I am not sure what it would take to get another run done, but let me know how many you would be interested in.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Mike,

I finally had the opportunity to call RMI on Friday and spoke with Dave. He has 3" scale couplers in stock in cast iron. I asked about cast steel, and he said he will get a price from the foundry when I am ready. I'm not a fan of cast iron.....it has it's places however.

Cost will determine whether I buy 2, 4 or 6 at the current time, but I do want them to be cast steel. If you are going to have another run done and they are cast steel I would be interested in 6.

Thank you,

Nyle
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

Mammoth in Colorado, has the Winton ( Winton Brown) line. There were 1.5",3, 5, and 8" scale couplers. They were cast iron. There is a photo posted in here, search: 5" coupler. They looked just like the Simplex (MCB) couplers. You can find info on those in the old Loco & Car Cyclopedias. If the 3" design is the same design as those 5" design, they would be nice looking functional couplers.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

LIALLEGHENY wrote:Mike,

I finally had the opportunity to call RMI on Friday and spoke with Dave. He has 3" scale couplers in stock in cast iron. I asked about cast steel, and he said he will get a price from the foundry when I am ready. I'm not a fan of cast iron.....it has it's places however.
Hmmm. Switching to steel with the same pattern would most likely not work, as the shrink percentage is different. However, one should explore ductile iron, as it rivals steel in tensile strength and machines about the same as gray iron. Depending on the alloy, shrink may not be an issue.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi All
Harold is correct. The shrink for steel is 1/4 inch per foot. The shrink for gray iron and ductile iron is the same 1/8 per foot. Ductile is your best bet.
A lot of people over look the fact that ductile iron is as strong as steel.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Harold, Trainman,

I'll look into ductile iron for the couplers. Thanks for the input!

Nyle
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Harlock wrote:
LIALLEGHENY wrote:Does anyone have a source for 3" scale steel couplers? I heard that RMI bought out the 3" stuff from Real trains, but they haven't responded to my inquiry .....also told that Ehrich in Colorado may have something....anyone else I might try?

Thanks, Nyle
We use 3" scale couplers at the mesa grande western. Recently a third party took one of our couplers and made a new pattern set. I am not sure what it would take to get another run done, but let me know how many you would be interested in.

-Mike
Mike, depending on price, I also would be interested in 8 to 10 3" couplers.

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....