2.5" scale log cars with logs for sale (California) ****SOLD****

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Harlock

2.5" scale log cars with logs for sale (California) ****SOLD****

Post by Harlock »

Up for sale are three 2 ½” scale log cars with real logs. The car bodies are 5 feet long, and together with couplers a little under 6 feet long. The trucks are Steve Easlon Pacific Coast RR freight trucks with roller bearings throughout. One set of trucks (the black pair) has the outside brake extensions on the frames if you wish to add brakes. The others could be modified to accept brakes as well.

Couplers are RMI and located at the standard 5.42” coupler height for 2 ½” scale that the vast majority of modelers in that scale follow. One car has a hidden steel spine, the other two one have steel pockets securely attached to the durable wood spine, which is made from three 2X3’s bolted together. All cars are immensely strong and can handle any amount of train behind them on a grade.

The logs are about 5 or six years old now and are a type of wood that retains the bark well after being felled. With logs, the heaviest car is 214lbs, the lightest one is 189lbs. I weighed them at Train Mountain last time I was there.

The price for all three cars together is $3,600. I will not split them up. Pick up in Southern California in the Palmdale area (1 hour north east of Los Angeles). Delivery within California (SF Bay Area to LA area) is possible for a fee of 75 cents per mile.

If anyone is wondering why I am selling the log cars, it's because I intend to make the train into purely a work train prototype with more ride-on cars and a tank car, etc. and I do not have room to store and transport the log cars in addition.

PM me if interested.
Attachments
15-09-25_SBSL_fall-meet-6126.jpg
14-08-05_log-car-0718.JPG
14-08-05_log-car-0724.JPG
Steel spine under one car.
Steel spine under one car.
Separate pocket and bolster on two of the cars.
Separate pocket and bolster on two of the cars.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Jerry_H

Re: 2.5" scale log cars with logs for sale (California)

Post by Jerry_H »

Hay Harlock, I don't see any chain binders on those logs. A real safety problem. ;-)

Jerry
www.chaski.com
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

....Aaaand they're gone. Thank you everyone for looking.

Re: binders, I never got around to it. The logs have never fallen off. Up to the new owner to finish the details now. :)
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Jerry_H wrote:Hay Harlock, I don't see any chain binders on those logs. A real safety problem. ;-)

Jerry
Maybe, but it's what the prototype did.
I was just reading an article in the Fall 2013 Classic Trains. The author, Dick Dorn, rode the Pacific Lumber Co. log train in 1966. He said "The log flats were loaded with old-growth redwoods, usually three logs to a car with each log averaging 3 to 4 feet in diameter. It was interesting to note that no chokers were used to hold the logs on the cars - the skill of the loader, carefully placing each log, is what kept them in place."
Of course, he goes on to say "Nevertheless, many logs that had rolled off cars were scattered along the tracks between this loader and Scotia."
Jerry_H

Re: 2.5" scale log cars with logs for sale (California) ****SOLD****

Post by Jerry_H »

Interesting, Marty. They would rather lose a few than chain them all down.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Maybe it was better to loose a few than have a log that was chained down shift, and take the car with it, or a couple of cars.

Nyle
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

thanks to whomever marked this as "sold", it seems one is no longer able to edit the original post (including the title) after replies have been made or some other triggering event.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Harlock wrote:thanks to whomever marked this as "sold", it seems one is no longer able to edit the original post (including the title) after replies have been made or some other triggering event.
Notice was posted, some time ago, that readers have a window of opportunity of only a half hour to edit posts. That's to prevent changes or deletions that tend to destroy the integrity of a thread. If there is need for an edit beyond that time, simply contact a moderator with a request for the edit, assuming it's a viable change.

When something is sold, all that is now required is for the OP to post, in the --- SAME THREAD--- that is has been sold. I, or other moderators, will edit the post, marking it as ****SOLD****.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.