Allen Models Fitchburg Frames

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Steve Alley

Allen Models Fitchburg Frames

Post by Steve Alley »

Hi all and I am working on make another run on Fitchburg Frames. This time water jet cut. Just wondering who out there may want one. Get back to me here with a post or call me 775-782-3800. Price on these are going to be more that the Laser cut frames. Around 300.00 plus shipping. New design from the last time also. Now the journal area will at the ends continue and loop around the the other journal side. This is to be cut off after the journal area is machine to size. This is so no flex and better machining of surface area. You can just work on this one journal and then re-clamp the frame in new position to do the next journal. I recommend that both frame are bolted or clamp together. This will give you perfect alignment of journal to journal. on left an right side. Note center line of cylinder to main Journal is the starting point then all other journals done afterwards.

Thank You
Steve Alley
Harlock

Re: Allen Models Fitchburg Frames

Post by Harlock »

Hi everyone, here is a photo of the latest frame. this is a waterjet example, and the rendering shows it 'as machined'. a Full set of plans for machining is also included.

You can see the hoops mentioned by Steve to help hold its shape while you machine the entire length of the pedestal guide surfaces.

This is a HUGE improvement from the built up frame, because you can actually drop the axles without disassembling the entire frame! And it looks more prototypical.
Attachments
17-06-21_allen-9367-w-logo.jpg
17-06-21_allen-9368-w-logo.jpg
17-06-21_allen-9379_resize-w-logo.jpg
frame_v06.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Another note is that with modern waterjet machines, draft is virtually eliminated with a taper compensating head. I could not detect any draft on this 1/2" thick part; there is very little machining allowance needed, although some is included on critical surfaces. Very easy to machine, and no hard edges since it's not laser. We were also able to put the holes in the face since the waterjet can cut down to .04 holes in this material thickness. This was not possible with the laser cut version.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Last call get orders in before June 30, 5 on order now.
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Water Jet cut frames are here and Three sets available, price 300.00 plus freight. Contact me at 775-782-3800 or e-mail me at jetalley@aol.com I will get freight quote and send you Pay Pal request to get payment. These are not going to last long. Steve Alley