Allen Models 2-8-0 water jet Consolidation Frames

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Steve Alley

Allen Models 2-8-0 water jet Consolidation Frames

Post by Steve Alley »

Making a run on water jet cut one piece frames. June 30 is the cut off date for this. We just got the file done to run these. If interested PM me or to jetalley@aol.com to place order. Right around 300.00 plus freight. 775-782-3800 Allen Models ask for me Steve Alley
Thank you
Steve
Moron

Re: Allen Models 2-8-0 water jet Consolidation Frames

Post by Moron »

Ahhhh shame this is just coming out now. Machining a laser cut frame for the 2-8-0 as we speak. Oh well, happy to see water jet available. Let me know what other parts will be available in the future. Until then I will be making chips
Miserlou57

Post by Miserlou57 »

What difference does it make? Don't they both need to be machined? I know watercut can be held fairly tight without the slag, but it's still not good enough for bearing or mating surfaces. Correct me if I'm mistaken...
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Difference is the quality of the part as in straightness. With Laser the frame will bend a lot and comes out like a potato chip. warp-age is a problem. Plus it leave the cut area harden. This will make more ware on the end mills when cutting surface. You will need two end mills to finish the frame and be correct. Next is the laser with this thickness needs to have more material left to machine. Like .015 or more. The problem is the frame thickness is .500 with laser's and I am talking about the high dollar multi million type. Fiber optics laser. You use nitrogen for all material up to 1/4" or so. After this you need to use oxygen . This is where the problem is. Make the edge harder and needs more clearance for clean up. Now we are not machining the whole frame, just the area's of Journal's and cylinder mounting. The rest is left gadget and ruff. Other wise just CNC the whole frame out and the cost goes so high its not affordable.
With water jet cuts are smother and not near hard. Less left to cut and mills easier. Yes still have to do the same cuts. But I think one end mill will do it. and the frame is straighter than the Laser cut frame. So your not going to spend the time to get it straight first. Now as far as the rest of the frame a flap wheel on a grinder and zip alone to clean the other areas or not. Not to mention drilling and tapping will be nice to do.
I also would like to see that one that buys these and goes to machine them. To take the time and see if any more straightening is need. Then clean up with flap wheel. Mate the two frames together and cut both at the same time. Not just one pass but make sure you have no flexing of the end mill when doing it. Al-ways measure your cuts before moving on to the next journal. One thing to keep in mind the center line of cylinder and the Main Journal is to be done first then the other journals after that. Bolting the frames together is also a good way to make sure of shift or movement. Other wise start over and line it up all again. Just my thoughts and we are working on instructions to cut these.
If I miss anything you would do different let me know here and always open to listen.

Steve Alley
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

I am this week, Monday leaving for LA and going to stop by to pickup water jet cut frames. I order two set of these for the Consolidation engine. One sold and the other available for the next in line. So interested please contact me by e-mail to jetalley@aol.com. This way I will have a record of you to contact by. Thank You Steve Alley
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

So back from trip and frames are here. I pick up two sets, One sold and one for sale. Contact me at jetalley@aol.com to let me know you what it.
Steve Alley