ALCO Type E Power Reverse

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

ALCO Type E Power Reverse

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi All

I will be casting the parts to build an ALCO type E power reverse for my locomotive in 1.6 scale. Is any one else interested in a set of castings? With some miner changes I could cast the parts for a type G as well.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Jerry_H

Re: ALCO Type E Power Reverse

Post by Jerry_H »

Tim,

I would like a set of castings for the type "E" power reverse. Do you have any idea of what they will cost? If not I certainly understand. You may not know until you have them cast and get the bill!

Jerry
www.chaski.com
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Here are pictures of the 2 types.
Attachments
ALCO-Type-E.jpg
ALCO-Type-G.jpg
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

The type "E" is the one I need, Tim.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
Pennsy fan

Post by Pennsy fan »

What are you casting these in? Are you doing lost wax or? And any idea of price?
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

They will be lost wax Silicon Bronze.

Tim
Pennsy fan

Post by Pennsy fan »

Oh nice.....
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

I believe the ALCO type "E" power revere gear is the type used on the: OR&L 3' ha. Mikados, and other OR&L locos, the D&RGW K-28's, and possibly also the Durango switcher K-27's 463, etc.. So The Type "E" is the 3' gauge power reverse gear.

I'll pitch in on any blueprint purchases, archive searches, anything needed to get as much info as possible together on these reverse gear.

Alco is long gone, and they burned the blueprint archive, so blueprints on this are going to come only from RR'S, libraries and private collections such as museum libraries.

There is always the option of locating the gear on a museum locomotive and working out a deal to disassemble, scan, rebuild and reassemble.

There is also a possibility that the smaller locomotive builders, like Porter, Davenport, Shay, Climax, etc.. could have had licensing contracts allowing them to reproduce assemblies and components like these for use on their locomotive offerings, and they only paid the patent and licensing fees as these components were sold with the locomotive. So knowing which "other" builders used Alco PR gear might be the starting point that could lead to a set of blueprints for this Alco "E" gear.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi

I think I found a complete set of blueprints. I will know when I receive them.

What I need now is detailed pictures of the lettering applied to some of the units. Early ones had no lettering, some have ALCO POWER REVERSE TYPE E/G and then some had a box around the lettering. If I go with printed waxes instead of hard molds I can customize the unit for each installation.

Tim
Moron

Post by Moron »

The ma&pa heavy 2-8-0 that I plan to build in 1.6 had an ALCO type E on it. Not quite there yet, but I am definitely keeping an eye on this.
Moron

Post by Moron »

Also important to note with many of the type E's and G's, that the linkage was mounted on the inside, not the outside like the bigger type H's. Granted I'm sure this doesn't apply to all, but something to keep in mind
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I have seen it both ways with the E and the G type gear.

Tim
Attachments
Inside-Outside.jpg