Allen Models needs votes.

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Steve Alley

Allen Models needs votes.

Post by Steve Alley »

Would there be any interest in a

Question 1------original Harpur 2-4-0 engine. This is the Engine that started before Allen Models By Bob Harpur.

Question 2 -------short version American Locomotive 1860-1880 era. Cow catcher Baldwin style domes and cab. Maybe the look of the V & T Reno. Not to scale but bigger to ride better. Large drivers.

Please vote 1 or 2 or both.

Steve Alley
BAdams

Re: Allen Models needs votes.

Post by BAdams »

Hi Steve,

I'm going to Vote #1.
Especially if the desgin lends it's self to being modified to 2-4-2's, 2-4-4's and the like.

Brook
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

If you're considering an 1880's style American, why not a 2.5" scale Eureka? That would definately get my vote (and a paying customer for castings).

Regards,
Mountaineer.
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Well the castings are not working out so far as in the 2 1/2" scale. I am working on it and this will take more time than originally thought it would. But when it does come out, American, Mogul, and Ten Wheeler. I have basically start over from scratch. what I ran into incorrect scaling and plans draw with so many mistakes I can not trust it. Believe me it will be a work of art. There has been so much development and time spent I can not say when. The info that I have collected is not only big but just the measuring of parts and finding the correct for each and every piece. You may not know this but when you get back past the 1890 era. There is no blue prints, at best your lucky to find what I would call Line setting tickets. Or paper telling what part and most important the card number. If you have the card number then go to the print that is generic at best, You find the measurement of that part. But on this will be 20 wrong measurement. Just tender tanks and the detail of it May me 300 or 500 different versions. Very long process to study every part and match it up to the matting part. Some times this even doesn't fall into place.
The Mogul and American is first then the Ten wheeler. I have not made any decision on the Ten wheeler to be. Most likely Colorado engine. That's all for now. Thank you for the input. and vote on the others, its important to see the response.
Steve
tyleire

Post by tyleire »

Well since I think I may have the only mostly operating Harpur 2-4-0 in existence, I'd love to see more of course. People loved running those engines. Big thing is figuring out a solution for an ash/oil pan with the eccentrics in the way. Maybe a different type of valve gear?
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I vote for the shorter 4-4-0. Gene's first true 4-4-0 was built for Roy Pickard of Texas, and it was absolutely beautiful. It used the Mogul's shorter main rod instead of the longer Ten Wheeler main rod. It was the first use of the square counterweight drivers, simulated wood cast cab, jam brakes, etc... I think it looks a lot better than the stretched out version. I am building two Allen Americans, and they will both be shorter than the plans call for by about 3 inches.
Attached is a picture of Roy's locomotive after I rebuilt/restored it. I think it is a fabulous looking locomotive.
First Allen 4-4-0
First Allen 4-4-0
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I vote for #2, the shorter American. I've had discussions with several live steamers wishing the Allen American was shorter and "more scale."
'Might be some business there.

Thanks for your continued work with the Allen Line of locomotives.
~RN
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I like both ideas. But I would like to see a piston valve cylinder set to replace the D valve set. Think of all the possibilities.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Not sure if this is the direction you wish to go, but if you are looking at 1880's locos then there are very detailed drawings available here:

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... ocomotives

O'Connor Engineering was commissioned by the US Govt to build replicas of Jupiter and 119. Since it was paid for with tax dollars the drawings are in the public domain. O'Connor did the hard work you talked about and came up with a great set of drawings.

Regards,
Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

tyleire wrote:Well since I think I may have the only mostly operating Harpur 2-4-0 in existence, I'd love to see more of course. People loved running those engines. Big thing is figuring out a solution for an ash/oil pan with the eccentrics in the way. Maybe a different type of valve gear?
You can put the eccentric on the lead axle - Porter did this with a number of locomotives. Just remember that the lead will decrease as you hook up, so it will be a 'full gear only' locomotive.
But why not just add a lead truck to the 0-4-0?
dwilloughby

Post by dwilloughby »

I vote #2. The Hitchcocks in Riverside have the second one built originally for Ted Steinmentz of Oakland. Mel and Mike found it in an antique store and did a great job of restoration.
Moron

Post by Moron »

Steve, I would vote 2 however I would really like to see a 1901-1910 4-4-0 more. Something like ma&pa #6 or PRR 1223. I can't figure out how to post pictures on here but when I figure it out I will. But I think taking the current 4-4-0 and shortening it would look great as it is