Allen Models 2-8-0 and 0-4-0 waterjet frames now available

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Harlock

Allen Models 2-8-0 and 0-4-0 waterjet frames now available

Post by Harlock »

Hi everyone.

We've added several frames to the waterjet lineup bringing our total to three so far, with more on the way.

We now have frames for the 2-8-0 Consolidation, the 0-4-0 Yard Engine and the Fitchburg Northern. The price is for a pair of frames to make one locomotive.

https://allenmodels.com/consolidation/c ... frame.html

https://allenmodels.com/0-4-0/y100-2-wa ... frame.html

https://allenmodels.com/fitchburg-north ... frame.html

For each locomotive where they are available, notes are given in section 1 as to which castings you do not need when using the waterjet frames.

Steve wishes to keep builder's options as flexible as possible, so he will continue to offer the bar stock kits and castings if one wishes to build their engine frames in the traditional manner.

In addition to a great savings in fabrication labor and fastenings, the waterjet frames look more prototypical and have the singular advantage of being able to drop the main axles without having to disassemble the frame. The Fitchburg frame comes with machining instructions and the others will follow.

The hoops at the bottom of the as-waterjet item are to hold the frame's shape while the pedestal guide surfaces are lightly machined, with an endmill up to 1" in diameter. They are then cut off and then the pedestal retainers / keepers installed. Currently we are experiencing no taper on the cut surfaces thanks to a taper compensator on the waterjet machine, but to account for production variability a small .015 allowance is included on surfaces that mate with other parts across the top and bottom of the frame.

The last image shows a rendering of an as-machined Fitchburg frame.
Attachments
Consolidation Frame
Consolidation Frame
0-4-0 frame
0-4-0 frame
Fitchburg Northern Frame
Fitchburg Northern Frame
Fitchburg Northern closeup
Fitchburg Northern closeup
Example of machined frame
Example of machined frame
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
NP317

Re: Allen Models 2-8-0 and 0-4-0 waterjet frames now available

Post by NP317 »

A great advancement over the built-up frames.

When I built my Ten Wheeler, I purchased flame-cut frames from Rogers-Cook.
They required some changes in the equalization/springing parts, and were a good improvement in the design.
I'm really pleased to see the new water-jet cut frames available from Allen Models.
Well done.
~RN
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

I just waht to add that these frames will be sent out with instructions to machine and how to. First is to fine the center of main driver Journal and center of were the cylinder is in the frames. Marking the frame for the cylinder center line is important for reference and to have to come back to. Once this is done we can go to the first Main Journal to machine. You can also bolt the two frames together before You machine or mark any were. So we are back to the first journal opening. Step one. Using the correct end mill is important. Carbide is the best less tool flex but some of you will use HSS end mills. Note you can and will get flex with this. Once you cut the pass in the frame check it with Joe blocks, If you don't have this use the 1-2-3 blocks to check the opening. If needed make passes until this will pass thou the opening. Step Two Next is to re-position the frame in the mill vise or angle blocks that the frame is tighten too. You should have also made the keepers before hand. We are going to cut off the loop and make the steps for the keepers to fit to. Once the milling is done and the bolt holes are tap. Install the keepers. Knowing the size and length of the keepers we are using the ends to fine the distance of the next journal center line to repeat the steps Two process to mill the opening and then repossession the frame for the next journal. and so forth until all journals and keepers are installed. So what you end up with is a true straight frame and the journals are perfectly in the correct positions. Next is to start machine all the require bolt holes for cross members to have a complete frame of Axle set to be installed and the Cylinders installed. What you end up with is also no question the true squareness for Main Rods and Side rods. But the pressing of wheels and Axle need to be perfectly square and 90 Degs when put together. This we will explain in further instructions. With a separate issue or instructions, to do this.
Thank You

Steve Alley
Allen Models of Nevada
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Steve,

Is it possible to scale up the drawing file in the water jet machine and produce a set of 3" frames?

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Yes we can scale these drawings. but it just doesn't stop there, The cylinder use for this there not scale for the 3" size. So call me to let me know what your truly asking. We could use the 3 3/4" to fit and make the frame around that engine's parts. Like I said there is limits to what your asking. Need to know more of what wheel arrangement would be and boiler size. The 3 3/4" is a 14" boiler diameter. I would think you look at a 12" boiler. so lets talk.
Call me at 775-782-3800 and direct e-mail is jetalley@aol.com
Thank You
Steve Alley
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Just to let people know there moving out the door. Another Fitchburg Northern out the door this week. Thank You to all and still got a couple left. of each. Steve