1 inch scale steam engine

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

impalas64

1 inch scale steam engine

Post by impalas64 »

Does anyone have a Berkshire steam engine in 1 inch for sale or know of anyone that would have one for sale
SteveM

Re: 1 inch scale steam engine

Post by SteveM »

First place I would check (if you haven't already) is
discoverlivesteam.com

You can subscribe and they will send you updates when things get posted.

Steve
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

1" steam engines don't come on the market too often. It seems that very few have been made lately since Little Engines (1" that is) went into storage. Even Friends pulled the few designs they had been offering for sale. From the best I can put together, there are three areas of the US that have much 1" railroading: New England, California, and Mid-West (NE, MN, IL) areas. So what is around is not on the market too long unless the price is rather high. Some projects come up from time to time, but it also seems the number of people able to work on such things keeps getting fewer and fewer.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

I agree with Ken. In all of the years I have been doing 1", I never have seen a Berkshire running in 1". Not that there might be one in a barn somewhere, but most locomotives I have seen are either Pacifics, Atlantic or 0-6-0 or 2-6-0. I only know one person at LALS that has a 4-8-4, but not a Berk. But I have seen photos from the 1950-60 era with large locomotives running.

I would ask around at the clubs that have 1" tracks. Someone must have knowledge of the older equipment and where it disappeared to.
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Several years ago at the Cabin Fever show in York, PA, I remember seeing a beautiful 1" scale NYC Hudson for sale.. If I remember correctly, it had Buckeye trucks on the tender instead of Commonwealth.. I think It was there two or three years in a row.. I haven't seen it since then though..
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

There is a 1" Berk that has been spotted at St Croix RR if I'm not mistaken.... So there is at least one out there.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

The late Joe Pedrant of New Jersey built a 1" Berkshire, where it is today is a mystery.

And Harry Fisher built a Berkshire he built in 3/4" scale. He was in Belleville, NJ.

Keith
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Way back in Live Steam, there was an article about Bud's Berk which I think was 1". The guy looked fairly old back then (70's) so the Berk probably ended up somewhere. I think the name of his railroad was Roundout.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Steve Bratina wrote:Way back in Live Steam, there was an article about Bud's Berk which I think was 1". The guy looked fairly old back then (70's) so the Berk probably ended up somewhere. I think the name of his railroad was Roundout.
Steve;
That was 1 - 1/2" scale, 7 - 1/2' gauge.

I do think I remember a gentleman named Mr. Pugh in Michigan that had a 1" scale Berkshire.

Keith
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

LVRR2095 wrote:
Steve Bratina wrote:Way back in Live Steam, there was an article about Bud's Berk which I think was 1". The guy looked fairly old back then (70's) so the Berk probably ended up somewhere. I think the name of his railroad was Roundout.
Steve;
That was 1 - 1/2" scale, 7 - 1/2' gauge.

I do think I remember a gentleman named Mr. Pugh in Michigan that had a 1" scale Berkshire.

Keith
That was John Pugh. He built a Pere Marquette Berkshire in 1" scale. Bruce Saylor bought it and ran it for years. I built a new boiler for it in 1985. Bruce sold it last fall to someone from St. Croix.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Gosh Marty, since I have moved you are more up to date on things at the St Croix than I am. I never thought Bruce would sell it, but he is a horse trader! Here's a pic of that one on a St Croix steaming bay circa 2012:
Berk.jpg
John Brock