Oregon: 5-acre property for sale, 1/4-mile 3-foot gauge RR

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

FordExcursion

Oregon: 5-acre property for sale, 1/4-mile 3-foot gauge RR

Post by FordExcursion »

Property for sale near Salem, Oregon.

Approximately 5-acre property which has a unique 3-foot Narrow Gauge railroad. The railroad was built by a former Southern Pacific employee. The railroad features 1/4-mile of mainline constructed from 60-pound rail. At one end of the property sits a three-bay, concrete-floored engine barn (30’ X 30’). The engine barn has two bays with track, and one of these bays is pull-through. The center bay has a 6-foot deep inspection and maintenance pit, steel lined with drainage. The third bay features a 10’ X 30’ shop with full electric panel, and heated by a wood-burning pot-belly stove. To one side of the engine barn is an outdoor dead-line track. Immediately outside the engine barn is an Armstrong-powered round-table connecting to the engine barn, dead-line track, and mainline. At the other end of the line is a large balloon track which encloses a small park-like setting with picnic area, swing set, merry-go-round, and children’s slide.

Not included, but to be negotiated separately, is the rolling stock for the railroad. The engine is a custom-built diesel locomotive created from a German-made Holder AM-2 tractor and a twelve-seat open-top passenger car. The passenger car can be converted to a flat-bed, steel-top work car. Also included with the rolling stock are various wheels, axles, small crane car, and other miscellaneous parts and pieces. There are extra spikes, tie-plates, switches, and rails for repairs and expansions.

Link to the listing:
http://wvmls.paragonrels.com/publink/de ... 9de2c750b0

Agent is Donna Graham, 503-931-5677, donnagraham@windermere.com

Thank you for looking.
NP317

Re: Oregon: 5-acre property for sale, 1/4-mile 3-foot gauge RR

Post by NP317 »

Very cool property. My style, except for the pre-fab homes.

It reminds me of the larger set up on Orcas Island, Washington.
Burton Burton (associated with the original Disney Imagineer engineers) retired there and built his own private fantasy standard gauge railroad park in the woods. We were guests there twice, on Family motorcycle sidecar rides. The railroad used Fairmont Speeders and trailer cars, and there were several Disneyesque stations built at the stops. The grain silo main floor was an elevator dining room that rose to the windows at the top, for a unique dinner with view. The gun range was under the attached barn, and used for practice by the local Police Force. I do not know what happened to BB's place after his passing. It was all quite magnificent.

Too bad I feel too beat up to move again. That Dallas Property would be fun.
~RN
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

This property was Marie & Charlie Meyer's property- they were very kind to me in 1997, hosting me off HMCS Mirimichi (Wooden ships & iron men !), from Portland Rose Fest. I have photos, at that point they had HOSS (Porter 4077, ex Coleman (Alberta) mine, air engine), and a very short piece of track. The intent was there at that point to put in a loop of track. There were a pair more ex Canadian engines in the area, in the form of "River City Railroad", the older pair of Kirkfield Quarry engines. Mike (????) was restoring them at that point, he'd done most of the hard work on them.

James
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Wow. In 1987 I owned the two Kirkfield locos. Where are they now?

Steve
FordExcursion

Post by FordExcursion »

James Powell wrote:This property was Marie & Charlie Meyer's property- they were very kind to me in 1997, hosting me off HMCS Mirimichi (Wooden ships & iron men !), from Portland Rose Fest. I have photos, at that point they had HOSS (Porter 4077, ex Coleman (Alberta) mine, air engine), and a very short piece of track. The intent was there at that point to put in a loop of track. There were a pair more ex Canadian engines in the area, in the form of "River City Railroad", the older pair of Kirkfield Quarry engines. Mike (????) was restoring them at that point, he'd done most of the hard work on them.

James
The 0-4-0 Porter air engine is still around. We are considering donating it to Brooks (Antique Powerland).

The 1/4-mile long track (balloon track on one end, turn-table on the other) grew out of the original 100-feet of track to show off "HOSS". People enjoyed riding the trailer behind the little converted tractor, so Charlie went and built a locomotive based on it and also built a 12-passenger riding car.

I don't know of the disposition of the two engines that Mike had, as I believe he has passed away.
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

I would buy if I could. Would keep what ever equipment is there. I would also build a 1” track, as there are none in Oregon
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
FordExcursion

Post by FordExcursion »

And finally got around to posting a video:

https://youtu.be/lTfqqh0JDrs
FordExcursion

Post by FordExcursion »

Update on the CD&M RR -- 2/JAN/2022

A couple years back, my mother, Marie (who has since passed away) was able to donate the engines, rolling stock, rails, and switches to the Western Railway Preservation Society.

https://westernrailwaypreservation.org/ ... ollection/

The folks there busted their a***s in getting the line moved off of the property as the new owners were settling in. My family is very grateful to them. A family friend, Carl, was able to show them some of the "tricks" such as starting the little diesel critter. And much like I did growing up -- I think the volunteers learned that my father had a habit of building things to last. I heard that getting the turntable removed was quite a chore.

I hope to get back out to Oregon one day and see how they're doing on getting the tracks run around their corner of Brooks Antique Powerland. It looks like it will be a nice little display and having something the families can ride on will be a real treat. I know my dad, Charlie, would have liked to know this went to a good "home".