Don Young Maxi Lucky 7 Drawings ****SOLD****

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Ancient Albatross

Don Young Maxi Lucky 7 Drawings ****SOLD****

Post by Ancient Albatross »

Don Young Designs Maxi Lucky 7 Drawings. Complete set of drawings dimensioned for both 3 1/2" and 7 1/2" versions.
These were originally purchased from Don Young years ago. There is some slight yellowing on edges and on GA drawings, but no loss of legibility. Castings are available from Allen Models https://allenmodels.com/sandyriver.html and the current price of the drawings from AJ Reeves http://www.ajreeves.com/12402.html is 107 pounds sterling. ( 1.34 pounds to the dollar today). Would let them go for around half of that, and I'll pay shipping in U.S.
Attachments
IMG_1507.jpg
alco2350

Re: Don Young Maxi Lucky 7 Drawings

Post by alco2350 »

Ancient Albatross wrote:Don Young Designs Maxi Lucky 7 Drawings. Complete set of drawings dimensioned for both 3 1/2" and 7 1/2" versions.
These were originally purchased from Don Young years ago. There is some slight yellowing on edges and on GA drawings, but no loss of legibility. Castings are available from Allen Models https://allenmodels.com/sandyriver.html and the current price of the drawings from AJ Reeves http://www.ajreeves.com/12402.html is 107 pounds sterling. ( 1.34 pounds to the dollar today). Would let them go for around half of that, and I'll pay shipping in U.S.
I may be interested. Could we speak about them tomorrow?

Britt

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
alco2350

Post by alco2350 »

I would like to purchase these plans. I have private messaged you my cell phone number. Could you call me please?

Thanks,

Britt Bettell
alco2350

Post by alco2350 »

Drawings received. Very nice original blueprints with no fading, I'm looking forward to getting this locomotive started!

Britt Bettell
elm53

Post by elm53 »

if you have never built a locomotive ,or plan on this to be your first.....these drawings are not the clearest to build from.a friend is working on the smaller one ,3 1/3" gauge. theres a lot of info and dimensions not where they need to be.best of luck.
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Like all engine we look at the plans and then set back then think on how we are going to make things. I have use the same plans and built the first engine from these and others too. So when You buy and build engines there are many styles of prints. So not as forward as others. It up to the individual to fine the matting part that it fits too. Under stand both parts and then machine to match and line up. Now that said, before I bought Allen Models I could not see patterns and understand them. They look backwards to me and when it came to the core and core box I was lost.
Anyway what I am trying to say its easier for the customer to call me for advice. We all need to do and listen to other ways to do things. Most of the time I have a customer call Thanks me for get them out of a corner and moving on. This is what I am about and more than happy to do so, As long as you bought the castings from me. As In a Allen Engine. I don't work for the other guy. Sales and Service. Steve
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Elm53, I have to disagree with you. I've found Don Young's blueprints easy to work from.

Mountaineer
alco2350

Post by alco2350 »

Steve has been great so far with just general advice. I'll be buying the castings from him for sure. As for the prints, they're outstanding. Very easy to read and understand.

Britt

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

I must jump in here as I am the friend building the "LUCKY 7 " in 3 1/2" gauge. " Live Steam " Drawings, sketches, ideas, are NOT! engineering drawings. Your best guess is better than most drawings. If this is your first attempt @ building said engine, then as Elm 53 put it good luck. This is NOT! an apprentice project. Just for S & G`s what is the center to center on the main rod? If it wasn`t for the side elevation you would be out of luck. I`m not going to go through every mistake I have found, because no one would appreciate the effort. These orthographic prints are not up to any shop standard. Please take these to any machine shop in your neighborhood and they will laugh you right out the door. The details don`t even match the assemble drawing. Take a good look before you say everything looks fine too me. Piston cross head, packing gland rear cover, just to name a few problems you might encounter. I now can say, I can see why a lot of these engines have not been built in this country. Having had my rant, I must soldier onward and hopefully forward to completion. Hope you have found this useful.( Keith Appleton)
steamer
alco2350

Post by alco2350 »

Keith:

When I said that they're easy to read and understand, I was implying just that - they're clear, not faded or stained. Not what one would expect with a 40 year old blueprint copy.

I realize this is going to be a massive undertaking - but I'll eat this elephant should I chose to like you do on your engines, one bite at a time. If I run into a problem that I can't figure out, I'll ask someone - like Mr. Schroeder, or Steve Alley, or the gentleman down at Houston Area Live Steamers who has all of the information published on Maine two-footers. It's not like I'm going to sign off, cut power and internet to the house, and go it alone in candlelight.

On another note - I would GREATLY appreciate the effort if you were to elaborate on the mistakes you've found.

Thanks all for the input. I consider this thread closed as the sale and delivery of the advertised product has been completed.

Britt Bettell
steamingdon

Re: Don Young Maxi Lucky 7 Drawings ****SOLD****

Post by steamingdon »

Well said. THE END.
steamer
elm53

Re: Don Young Maxi Lucky 7 Drawings ****SOLD****

Post by elm53 »

Britt, just a point of clarification, Keith Appleton is a model engineer who posts many videos on youtube. Don's last sentence in his post is how Keith ends all his videos.Don just gave credit where it was due.