Show of Interest - Walschaerts Links - 1" Scale

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Mike Walsh

Show of Interest - Walschaerts Links - 1" Scale

Post by Mike Walsh »

Hello,

I am working on getting a quote for wire EDM cut walschaerts links for the 1" Scale Little Engines Atlantic and Pacific locomotives.

This would just be the link and link block. No other attachments.

I would like to see if anyone is in need of a set. I haven't a clue on price yet but if you are interested, please get in touch with me so that I can keep in touch. Hopefully we can reach a number that yields a price break.

Thanks
Mike Walsh
Trainman4602

Re: Show of Interest - Walschaerts Links - 1" Scale

Post by Trainman4602 »

Wire EDM.
Why not laser or water jet them. Since everybody is into 3D these day why not use that?
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
NP317

Post by NP317 »

In my experience, Wire Electro Discharge Machining (EDM) produces a fine finish, ready to use.
Water jet and laser cut surfaces often require additional machining to get the required final finish. At least that's how those systems in my University of Washington shops acted.
3D printing in metals is a possibility but costs more than wire EDM, which is 2-dimensional process.
~RN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The trick is to drill / tap any needed holes, then HARDEN then WEDM...so there is a little more 'up front' handling - drilling tapping / hardening - BEFORE the nested part(s) get to the wire.

the most cost effective way to do this is in a sheet with a bunch of nested parts so that the wire guy can 'set it and forget it' and go home.

If you have to $$$ him to insert / zero / cut / remove each part, the $$$ will go way up.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

I guess most of you didn't get my point. How about the old school way ROTARY TABLE !
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Could use a rotary table, sure. But if Wire EDM is available the accuracy and surface finish are hard to beat. Not to mention it cuts hardened steel like butter. And while it’s cutting you can go eat a sandwich or something.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Trainman4602 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:32 pm I guess most of you didn't get my point. How about the old school way ROTARY TABLE !
With all due respect, this thread was started with the intent of asking others to see if they wanted to get in on this.

If you're not interested in obtaining a set, and just want to troll - I am going to ask you to go kick rocks or something to that extent...

...now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Thank you for the suggestion(s), Bill. I will see what options are offered through the vendor.

Regards,
Mike Walsh
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Well Mike
Your question has been posted in the general live steam discussion. This section is intended for experienced builders to give the novice ideas on how to construct and machine a locomotive or any other steam related project. In addition the forum can discuss other areas of steam operated equipment as well.

You should have posted your question in the marketplace section.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Trainman4602 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:55 am Well Mike
Your question has been posted in the general live steam discussion. This section is intended for experienced builders to give the novice ideas on how to construct and machine a locomotive or any other steam related project. In addition the forum can discuss other areas of steam operated equipment as well.

You should have posted your question in the marketplace section.
I did....
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I've had really good luck, with some refinement, having parts laser cut and then drilling/reaming/tapping the final processes.
We made a bunch of parts in our shop that were laser cut, and then the holes were drilled out slightly bigger and tapped with the part just loose on the mill table with a bolt in a T-nut so it couldn't spin, and to our surprise we held tolerances within .002"

To the OP, your post caught my interest but I'm doing my own thing with 2" scale on 12" gage.
FRED DADDI

Post by FRED DADDI »

Trainman4602 wrote:I guess most of you didn't get my point. How about the old school way ROTARY TABLE !
Like button like button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Yes Mike you in fact did My Bad . So that means that all the other post regarding machining links should be on the general forum of Live Steam