WTB head light for D&RGW # 50

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

wa6mdi

WTB head light for D&RGW # 50

Post by wa6mdi »

Anybody know where one can obtain a ready made headlight such as one would use on the 2.5 inch scale D&RGW # 50? I'm not after something such as the prototype has but something close. Been thinking of putting a flashlight lens reflector and pvc cap together, but so far can't seem to find the right combination. Any ideas?

Thanks
Dick, Trophy Club, TX.
steamin10

Re: WTB head light for D&RGW # 50

Post by steamin10 »

Look at some low voltage lighting head like Malibu, you may find something interesting there.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

How about some modifications to vintage style bicycle light?
light.jpeg
wa6mdi

Post by wa6mdi »

That is an interesting idea of a bicycle light. Think I might drift by the local bike shop and see what I can scare up. Thanks
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

2nd that, I got a bright 12 volt LED light meant for a bicycle off of Amazon for $6.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I bought a string of malibu spot lights that have the eyebrow and round back for future use. The low voltage lights are all there and have a railroad look to me.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Some styles of Malibu lights may not be found any more - they filled for Chapter 11 back in 2015 and filled their "plan of liqudation" last August.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, before that I used Geisha lights, in display cabinets for object and collection lighting. They were gone too, tooo many fast cars on the owners i am told. I got a 4 set expansion pack for something like $25 with wire if I remember right. Something similar could be glued up out of PVC pipe fittings but would look chunky and not as fine as the units I have. Building something would involve cannibalizing a reflector of some type. Good luck.
wa6mdi

Post by wa6mdi »

OK well thanks to the input from the members on this board, I think I might have a solution. Went to Home Depot and picked up an MR 11 halogen bulb. Outside diameter is 1.5 inches and it fits perfectly into a 1.5 inch (inside diameter) PVC pipe cap. Now the next step is to turn on the halogen bulb with 12 volts and see the heat it generates and if it is to hot for the pvc pipe cap.

Any ideas?

Dick
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I expect halogen lights and PVC anything won't get along very well, considering the extreme temperature of the lights. I hope you can prove me wrong, though. :-)

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.