90-Ton Logging Mikado ****SOLD****

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

NP317

Re: 90-Ton Logging Mikado

Post by NP317 »

Harold and Bob:
Thank you both for your information.

Bob: Which steamers club do you operate at?
My last trip to Healdsburg was a canoeing trip on the Russian River...in the 1960s!!
~RN
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

I operate at GGLS primarily . I'm usually selling stuff at Sacramento Valley Live steamers but i have run there also. I also have operated a couple of times at Portola Valley . My goal this year is to finally go to Bitter Creek and maybe LALS in the fall. I'm hoping my Meg that my son Rob is building will be ready to run this year.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thanks for sharing your running locations.
A Steam rich territory you have available in California!
I grew up in Los Altos, CA, but left to Seattle in 1969. I've missed a lot of CA Live Steam Fun since then.

Then again, I've operated full sized logging steamers at the NW Railway Museum (Snoqualmie, WA), starting in 1972,
and am one of the four original founders of the Mt. Rainier Scenic RR, in Elbe, WA.
I was their first Locomotive Engineer, 1980 - 1982. 'Got to run the #10 Climax during the 1982 opening of the Calif. State RR Museum in Sacramento.
Incredible memories.

Now it's happily smaller sized steamers...
I've lived a Steam-Blessed life!
~RN
Comstock-Friend

Post by Comstock-Friend »

"Can be picked up in Brentwood CA"

Is that the Brentwood in Los Angeles or the Dublin/Livermore one?
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

Yes it Can .I live in Nor Ca Brentwood By Livermore.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

This website may be helpful. Bill Gardei built the same engine I think.

http://www.islandpondrailroad.com/mikado/index.htm
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thank Benj.
Yes, I referred to that website build.
Despite the differences from my loco (older drawings and compressed air operation) it did answer questions I had.
~RN
Tank245

Post by Tank245 »

OH man, This kit plays with my emotions! On one hand, I'm fairly new to steam as I just purchased my first completed engine last fall, and I just want more! On the other hand, I definitely lack the experience and tooling to build my own locomotive from the ground up, but i've always wanted a 90 ton logging mike to model after the OP&E #19 since it used to run on the YWRR not to far from where I lived in Southern Oregon. Very nice kit!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Tank:
I rode behind #19 in 1962, on the Yreka Western! Probably part of the reason I like these smaller Mikados.
I had Grandparents (and many other relatives) in Mt. Shasta, CA. Spent many summers there growing up.
That locomotive has now been delivered to the new Roundhouse facility built in Ohio(?) I forget the name. Need more coffee...
And the former McCloud River RR #18 is operating on the Virginia and Truckee RR near Carson City. I need to go on a road trip there.

I plan on testing my new Mikado at Train Mountain sometime this summer.
PM me if you are interested in meeting me there. Hopefully I will have the cab completed and installed then.
'Could be fun. Get your 90-ton Mikado fix...

To be continued...
~RussN
Tank245

Post by Tank245 »

Russ: I think we actually met at the ops meet last year, and that's where i first met Chris Brew as well! Ill be at Train Mountain a lot this year with my new engine, registered for all the meets.

And the Place in Ohio the 19 went to is Age of Steam Roundhouse, my friend Steve Arnold did a cool live stream video of the auction for the engine. As for smaller Mikados, I got a cab ride on the Polson logging #2 on the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad and pretty much fell in love with them.

I'll send you a PM about train mountain 😁
- Tim
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Tim:
Thanks for that info. Hopefully we can connect at TM this summer. I would like to see you and your locomotive!
I don't yet know which Meet I'll attend. Life gets in the way.
We'll get together, I'm sure. I will look for you PM with your contact info. Thanks.

Yes, the Age of Steam Roundhouse. What an amazing development! Thanks to the person with the dream and money to create such an historic facility!
It will live on.
~RN
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

If you are really interested in this engine I'm accepting offers . I need the space for more engines coming on consignment. PM me Thanks Bob.