Crystal Lake Cylindrical Grinder

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Crystal Lake Cylindrical Grinder

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ever wanted to grind a part to 1/millionth”. If you know about Crystal Lake Grinders you’ll know these fine old machines were made to do that everyday. I’ve been told war production machinists used them to make parts for the Norton Bomb Site in WW II. I think this is a 1950’s machine. Simply amazing.

I am selling my Crystal Lake grinder to make room for a new Milling machine, so this is for up for sale.

I have rebuilt the grinding heads, replaced the bearings, and cleaned and inspected, cleaned and lubed the internals. The table now works smoothly in both axis’s. No discernible wear on the gears or pinions. The machine could use some nice cosmetics, but seems to be in good mechanical condition. Also equipped with cool overhead lighting and an OEM flood coolant system and tank in the base. I have not tested or operated the coolant system, but it seems OK. The coolant pump and all parts are present, so far as I can determine.

Machine is located in Seattle area. I can load on a pallet and ship anywhere. Cost me $250 to bring it up from Phoenix three years ago. Decided I’ll probably never going to use it, so sadly, decided to let it go.

Call or PM. Happy to send more photos.

$1500 OBO.

Glenn
Attachments
F3AB5E74-576D-42D8-B41B-F26A53C7CD4B.jpeg
BF18B7BC-288C-4D6A-AFED-F6D99BFEE0C7.jpeg
DA87AC0F-0CE7-44C8-B6FC-0E7F56C5E9B9.jpeg
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Sandiapaul

Re: Crystal Lake Cylindrical Grinder

Post by Sandiapaul »

Fantastic machine, I have wanted one for years. No room for it. GLWS!