Pacific Fruit Express Reefers - 1.5" Scale

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

SPSteam2491

Pacific Fruit Express Reefers - 1.5" Scale

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Introducing the car that helped deliver produce all over America, the wood sided Pacific Fruit Express reefer for 1.5” scale. Based off the reefers that ran all over the US during the 1920’s-1950’s, this car kit is based off a PFE model but could also be used for Eastern railway reefers (such as Fruit Growers Express) or other Western Railway reefers (such as SFRD).

The basic car kit comes complete with:

29 pieces of ½” Baltic Birch Frame CNC cut Body (sides, ends, doors, roof, underbody frame, roof frame)
10 pieces of Grooved ¼” MDF for outside shell (sides, ends, doors and roof)
Roof Walkways and supports
Wood Hatch Covers
Wood Hatch Platform (Steel Roof Models only)
Trim Boards
“Fish belly” frame outline in ¼” MDF
Detailed instructions (including drilling templates for grab irons, paint colors and painting/detail recommendations based on PFE models)

The pricing for the kits is broken up into tiers to fit the budget of every hobbyist. Detail parts can also be purchased from Precision Steel Car at a later date. Please note that shipping in not included in the price. Shipping will vary but will average to around ~$100 per kit.

Tier I (Basic Car Kit):
Wood Roof Version: $320
Steel Roof Version*: $325

Tier II (Basic Car Kit + PSC Door Hinges):
Wood Roof Version: $430
Steel Roof Version*: $435

Tier III (Basic Car Kit + PSC Door Hinges + Grabirons/Ladders & Stirrups):
Wood Roof Version w/ Grabirons: $475
Wood Roof Version w/ Ladders: $490
Steel Roof Version* w/ Grabirons: $480
Steel Roof Version* w/ Ladders: $495

*Steel roof version is not made from steel. It is a smooth rather than grooved MDF roof that once painted, simulates a steel roof.*

Items that are not included with the kit are:
Trucks
Couplers
1”x2” Steel Tubing
Hardware (nails, screws, bolts, etc.)
Brake Platform & Wheel
Paint
Decals

Also not included is roof hinges for the wood hatches. Those are currently a work in progress and will be available for purchase at a later date. PSC does offer hinges for a steel hatch which can be purchased from them.

This will be a limited run kit with kits shipping out in April and reservations open until mid March. First come, first served. Please send me a PM for what tier and version you are interested in and I will get you a shipping quote within 48 hours. No money needs to be collected at this time.

If you don’t know what version, I would be happy to help you figure out an appropriate car from the year you would like to model.

Lastly, if you are interested in just the body (without the MDF shell) please let me know. Pricing for that will depend on the number of people interested.

Build log http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 3&t=107242
Attachments
Steel Roof Version.png
Wood Roof Version.png
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Re: Pacific Fruit Express Reefers - 1.5" Scale

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Here is what a completed Tier I car looks like with Tom Bee trucks. No additional modification is required to the frame or the car to fit these, or any trucks out there.
Attachments
Finished Tier I_A.jpg
Finished Tier I_B.jpg
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Here is what a completed car looks like. All the details parts are from Precision Steel Car and the lettering/decals are from Connie Miracle.

The roof does lift off to give access to store items inside the car OR you could put seats across and use this car for hauling people.
Attachments
Finished Car I.jpg
Finished Car II.jpg
Finished Car III.jpg
Finished Car IV.jpg
Finished Car V.jpg
Finished Car VI.jpg
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

The really cool thing about this kit and that it can be made into over 40 Pacific Fruit Express classes of cars! Just by changing the color of the car, the style of the roof, added steel stamped ends, and adding other small details.

And don't forget about Western Pacific, Fruit Growers Express, SFRD, and many other railroads reefers that this kit could be made into too.

Reservations will be open until March 15th. Please send me a PM if interested or if you have questions.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

A reminder that reservations for these kits will be open until this Friday, March 15th. If you are interested in a kit, please send me a PM.

Thanks
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

A plain side kit with no door openings would give folks a basic box car body. All you would need would be a door, which at that time were externally hung!