"Candy Bar" whistle posts

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

OddDuck

"Candy Bar" whistle posts

Post by OddDuck »

Finally got back out to the foundry and started getting some production work done. I now have a saleable amount of my "Candy Bar" whistle posts, with more to come tomorrow. One dozen PRR keystone bars are ready for sale, 3 oval bars, and a couple diamond ones. I will be casting more tomorrow.
Price is $12.50 per bar, shipping not included. 1/8th scale, by the by.
Attachments
IMG_20190222_204228063.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Re: "Candy Bar" whistle posts

Post by OddDuck »

So everyone is clear about what the "Candy bar" whistle posts are, here's a short pictorial of how to finish them up. Couldn't be easier, all you need is a hacksaw, drill, and file. Or a sander of some sort, up to you.
First pic shows how big all three are, I looked at the last picture I posted of them and it was hard to figure out how big they were. Now, for the picky-butts out there, they are approximately 1/8th scale, I didn't actually measure original examples, but they're close enough. So there.
First thing to do is cut the bars apart. I left plenty of room between each sign so you could use a angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, a hacksaw, or whatever. I don't recommend breaking them apart, you may take a chunk out of the next sign. Next, clean up the edges, remove ingates and roughness, etc. A file makes pretty quick work of this, you could use a sander of some sort. Next, drill the holes for the pole. I will not specify a drill size, I don't know how big your stick is. No, don't send me pictures of your stick. I don't want to see that. Neither does anyone else.
A note on drilling the hole, if you drill all the way through or drill from the wrong side, don't panic. These are not large signs, a dab of glue of some sort will hold them in place just fine.
Last, degrease and paint. The raised rim and letter make this pretty easy, I think everyone can figure this part out.
Glue or pin to an appropriate pole, install on your layout and enjoy. Easy peasy.
Attachments
IMG_20190225_132540167~2.jpg
IMG_20190225_132621730~2.jpg
IMG_20190225_132800110~2.jpg
IMG_20190225_133246462~2.jpg
IMG_20190225_135005744~2.jpg
IMG_20190225_135011363~2.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus