Ox Yoke™ Safety Chains

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

mattmason

Re: Ox Yoke™ Safety Chains

Post by mattmason »

I've done a version of this in 1" scale for as GGLS requires them and they worked great. I used cable and loops, but they worked great, including when it did derail the cars did not roll apart.
Matt Mason
Jacob's dad

Post by Jacob's dad »

They worked well at the last card order. Very nice Tim!
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

bobrauper wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:13 am Hello Tim,
Slick idea. I like it and would like to buy one set to try out. Your post doesn't show how you would like to be contacted and payment arranged. Could you provide that info? Thanks!
Bob Rauperstrauch
Hi Bob

I sent you a personal message for your address please take a look.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

I don't think I would approve these for use at GGLS. We require the cars to be chained together, not the couplers.

JerryK
GGLS Safety chairman
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Have you ever had a coupler failure that caused cars to roll free?
Not just uncoupling, but an actual coupler failure?
~RN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

NP317 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:06 pm Have you ever had a coupler failure that caused cars to roll free?
Not just uncoupling, but an actual coupler failure?
~RN
i have seen cars that had been designed with the shoulder bolt threaded up from the bottom for both couplers and trucks.
in theory, that bolt could work lose if inspections are lacking,
and i have seen a couple cast iron couplers break at the loop shank.
so it can happen. 8)
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thanks for the info, Chris.
I think I'll keep using safety cables attached to the car frames.

See ya Saturday.
~RN
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Russ...I'll add, safety chains are good, but ONLY as good as the size of materials used AND the method of attachment to the car body.

A 1/4-20 safety chain eye bolt hook is good, but all too often see people "unwind" the hook as opposed to twisting the eye slightly to the side. Does either way weaken the eye bolt any? Have no data to support or refute that. Still, 1/4" is better than anything smaller.

Screw hook bolts into the end of a wood sill are also a no-no. In particular, curtain hanger screw hooks. Don't laugh...I've seen it done. Really need a "positive" method of attachment of the hook to the car.

Chains...1/8" welded link chain as a minimum. Have seen 5/16" chain used on locos. Sash chain or other "formed" chain not acceptable.

And while polyurethane tubing used for air brakes is strong stuff...and I have seen that tubing keep a train together! Wouldn't recommend that as a chain alternative. The poly tubing is stronger than the 5/16" threaded air brake male fittings mounted on the end of the cars...which is usually where the air system hardware breaks off (don't ask how I know). Just sayin'...Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Question for the group, is there ever a good time for a safety chain to "fail"?
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

cbrew wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:45 am Question for the group, is there ever a good time for a safety chain to "fail"?
When a car turns over. You can do a lot of damage to anything that is in the way of moving parts.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

FLtenwheeler wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:21 pm
cbrew wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:45 am Question for the group, is there ever a good time for a safety chain to "fail"?
When a car turns over. You can do a lot of damage to anything that is in the way of moving parts.

Tim
correct, i don't know how many times i hear "safety chains should never fail or separate".
I had come to believe that there needs to be engineered fail. for intent. i had one of my flat cars detail in the yard at train mountain, when that happened the cars uncoupled and a wheel jammed into a frog, the stop was hard was hard enough to open up the double clamp connection on the cables. I would hate to see what kind of damage would have happened if i used a heavy chain. likely would have damaged the car and or the switch.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

My three yokes that I ordered came in the mail promptly. And they are even brown like I requested. Thanks!
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"