WTB: 1" scale steam locomotive

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Amagosky

WTB: 1" scale steam locomotive

Post by Amagosky »

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to draw some of these hiding 4.75" gauge engines out of the wood work. I'm looking for a 1" scale 4.75" gauge steam engine, it's okay if it needs some work since my budget is limited just as long as the scope of the work is not too great. Smaller and more complete engines are preferable but beggars can't be choosers so send me what you have.

Contact me here, shoot me an email at
amagosky@gmail.com

or call me at;
708 625-4333 and leave a message.

Andrew
1" scale 0-4-0
1" scale 2-10-2
Builder01

Re: WTB: 1" scale steam locomotive

Post by Builder01 »

What part of the country are you located? Your profile shows nothing.

David
Amagosky

Post by Amagosky »

Builder01 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:48 pm What part of the country are you located? Your profile shows nothing.

David
I'm located in southwest suburban Chicago, illinois and I go to school in Champaign, IL.
1" scale 0-4-0
1" scale 2-10-2
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

You are probably in a good part of the country to find what you are looking for. Are you familiar with the "Discover Live Steam" website? There is currently listed a 4-3/4" gauge steam locomotive in Indiana.

1" scale Little Engines steamer; 4 3/4" Gage 0-4-0 T tank engine. Coal fired, top quality, tool maker built 1987. Original owner, good steamer. Copper boiler and tubes. Axle and hand pump, feed water heater, full size whistle, hand brakes, working headlight and cab lights. Includes drawings, plans, poker, coal shovel, electric blower, air blower, boiler tube brush, ash hoe, coal and oak carrier. Boiler tested July 2017.

https://auctions.discoverlivesteam.com/ ... en&sort=02

Check it out!

David
Amagosky

Post by Amagosky »

Hi David,

I am familiar with that website and am very familiar with that engine. He has an offer on it already that is likely to go through so he's all set. It's really wonderful, I just wish I could have gotten to it more quickly. Hence why i am turning to these forums for equipment.

Andrew
1" scale 0-4-0
1" scale 2-10-2
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

have you tried the local live steam club(s)?

Please define 'ok if needs some work'?

are you, for example, capable of building / installing a new boiler on a loco?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Andrew,

Did you ever find what you were looking for?

David
Amagosky

Post by Amagosky »

Builder01 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:52 am Andrew,

Did you ever find what you were looking for?

David
Hi David,

I did indeed, I found a very sweet little 0-4-0 in Wisconsin and purchased it with money from the sale of my gasoline engine. I have some pictures and videos of myself running it which I will post soon. The engine is a little engines 0-4-0 from the late fifties or early sixties with a good cast bronze firebox, copper boiler, and LE style throttle that doesn't leak along with a 4 chime whistle mounted under the cab deck (I got lucky indeed). The engine also has an exquisite all brass, all riveted tender. The bottom end of the engine is basically new and there are only a few minor issues to fix. I had to replace a ball on one of my automatic cylinder cocks and build an ash pan to run.

My current laundry list of things to do is:

Put new piston rings on
Reconnect the whistle
Make the mechanical lubricator reservoir larger
Make some new tender tank top panels so I stop dropping coal into my water
Make a new ash pan because i don't really like the current setup
Wash the boiler
Fix the injector
Put new waterlines on the tender
Replace/repack my blower valve and add a "T" fitting for an airline
Clean my check valves
Re-plumb the injector
Disassemble, clean, and repaint the engine in BLW green
Re-wire the headlights and cab lights
Start making 2 VanBrocklin Pumps
Begin building another engine because I've been bitten hard by the small scales steam bug.

Overall, my experience so far has been an absolute blast. This engine is like a living puzzle that changes every time i look at it. Also, because this engine is so small, I have become very good at firing in a very short time. In my short time running the engine, I can say that an engine this small is very sensitive to changes in water level, grades, and loads. In an interesting note however, this engine sounds like a much larger engine when under load and is surprisingly powerful. When the flues are clean, the locomotive is surprisingly easy to operate and generates steam quite efficiently.

Now if only I had better coal...

Andrew
1" scale 0-4-0
1" scale 2-10-2
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Andrew,

Wow, sounds like you are having fun! It has taken me nearly a year to really get the hang of operating my loco. Are you running at the Illinois Live Steamers track?

Yes, these little steam locomotive are a blast to run. I now have mine pretty much finished. Just recently, I got my Van Brocklin type steam pump going.

For coal, one of the best types for small steam locomotives is from the Pocohantas #3 mine in West Virginia. I get it from a supply in New York near Buffalo. The place is called "Reboy Supply". I am sure it is available from a place more near to you.

Any photos of what you have done? Would be cool to see what you have!

David