Wanted 5C Collets

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Wanted 5C Collets

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi All

I am looking for 5C collets in the following sizes:

0.164"
0.138"
0.112"

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
jcfx

Re: Wanted 5C Collets

Post by jcfx »

Do they even make 5C collets by 1/128ths ?

You might want to look into metric 5C -
.164 = 4.17mm
.138 = 3.51mm
.112 = 2.84mm
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

These are machine screw sizes.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Peter Crisler

Post by Peter Crisler »

FLtenwheeler wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:15 am These are machine screw sizes.

Tim
Tim, you might look at McMaster-Carr and their "Machine-Your-Own 5C Collets". They're 5C and one type is made of brass. Bore exactly what you need.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You might want to make up split sleeves with an OD of a collet you have and an ID of the needed sizes.

I made some when the only collet I had for my mill was 5/8" and all my end mills were 1/4 and 1/2.

Put a shoulder on it so that it won't fall into the collet and knurl the end to make it easy to pull out.

As long as you turn the OD and ID in the same setup, they will be concentric.

Steve
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

Just buy the following collects - 11/64 - 9/64 - 3mm - pretty simple these are within a few thou of what you require and will pull down to the size you want quite easy .
A 5C collet can pull down quite a way from the stated measurement .
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Chris Hollands wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 am A 5C collet can pull down quite a way from the stated measurement .
Yes, it can pull down, but when you do that, you may find that the work isn't being held securely because the collet is gripping only at the face.

5C collets, unlike ER collets, are not very tolerant of under-/over-sized workpieces. Of course, it gets worse the farther off you are from size and my trig brain is on vacation, so I can't tell you how much, but you could chuck up a piece, put an indicator on and test to see if it is held securely.

A solution might be to get a straight-shank collet chuck for a small ER series, like ER-16 and put that collet holder in a 5C collet.

I have an ER32 collet chuck with a 1" shank that I can stick into anything I have that takes 5C collets, like my spin indexer (I only have a limited number of 5C collets).

Steve
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

Steve I think for what Tim is wanting to do if would be fine we are only talking about 6 thou under size - I do it all the time when I make my bolts no issues and I have made 100's of the little suckers .

I do a lot of metric size S/S bolts etc and I don't have many metric collets , I have a full set of imperial collets which I use - get as close to the metric size you can and away you go - I just machined some 5mm screws and used 13/64 collet that is about 6 thou oversize - no issues did the job .

Keep things simple - 5C collets aren't expensive any more depending on the quality you want .
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

Just a question, what do you need to hold Number drill size work, if just shortening the length, absolute accuracy is not needed, if center drilling, a threaded collet would be a better choice, as the surface finish on threads is not conducive to concentric.
Hardinge will make you any size you want, Threads, Steps, ect. They also have 5CC collets which are within .0002 concentric, rather than std .0005.
You can just buy unhardened Emergency collets asnd make your own.
My wheels don't slow me down
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

tetramachine wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:19 pmHardinge will make you any size you want...
Yea, last time I checked, 4PN collets in standard fractional sizes were $350 each.

Steve
Mark Landgraf

Post by Mark Landgraf »

Tim

try shophardinge.com
They have stock round millimeter collects by 10th of a millimeter. They typically are hitting your numbers by a couple thous. Drawback is $60 each. They will do custom sizes too, but they get really pricey.

Mark Landgraf
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

Tim, there is a way to get Drill # size collets. There are MT-1 and MT-2 size collets, These a tang end tapered collets used in screw machines. You would need an adapter MT to straight but they are easy to find. The collets show up sometimes on ebay, I have 10 pounds or so of these if you wanted some. cheap. PM if interested
My wheels don't slow me down