Wanted 5C Collets

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Re: Wanted 5C Collets

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Thanks for all the input.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Chris Hollands wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 am Just buy the following collects - 11/64 - 9/64 - 3mm - pretty simple these are within a few thou of what you require and will pull down to the size you want quite easy .
A 5C collet can pull down quite a way from the stated measurement .
According to Hass a 5C collet is good to 1/64" smaller than the standard size.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

FLtenwheeler wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:52 am According to Hass a 5C collet is good to 1/64" smaller than the standard size.
While you can use single taper collets that way, it's not a good idea. As the collet goes below nominal, it grips only at the outer edge. Not only does that offer the opportunity for the collet to grip a part in a less than parallel manner, it also offers the risk of damaging the item being gripped. If it is subjected to a heavy cut, it oscillates around the gripping point, leaving a tapered groove and a slightly raised ridge, with the added risk of the part spinning in the collet under load. All in all, not a great way to use the collet. It also can collapse the collet, so inserting nominal sized material can become troublesome. That's not likely to happen with a properly heat treated collet, however.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I take a piece of brass rod of a known OD

Drill a hole in it the needed size for the bolt

then slit it down through one side with a slitting saw.

clamp in collet

instant collet of any size needed.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
platypus20

Post by platypus20 »

I bought out a machinery supply store, I have odd sizes, but none small enough. Too bad you do not need R8, I have 6 lyndex 1/16” collets.
jack
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:18 pm I take a piece of brass rod of a known OD

Drill a hole in it the needed size for the bolt

then slit it down through one side with a slitting saw.

clamp in collet

instant collet of any size needed.
Shields scores again. When are you going to write the book, Bill: The Genius of Bill Shields?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

If the parts to be gripped are a constant size, and the bushing is fairly thin, you don't even have to split the bushing. I've made them for as much as a 1/32" mismatch (between collet and part size). So long as it will slip over the parts and the fit is good, it grips just fine, and isn't permanently shrunk when used, as you don't reach the yield point of the material when closing the collet. I make mention because it saves one operation (including deburring), although not a great deal of time. Good to know when time is of the essence.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

short book....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

A new 0.164" 5C collet from Hardinge is $60. But the shipping and handing is more than that. The 9/64" collet is working for me to trim the #8 bolt head to size.

Tim
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Hmmm. That doesn't make sense. A 9/64 collet has a theoretical ID of .140625". That's .024" smaller than the theoretical OD (which is smaller than .164"). It's a reasonable fit for a #6 screw, though.

I'll assume you are using an 11/64 collet (for a #8 screw). If so, the mismatch of the collet versus the screw is all of .0078" (theoretical), but with the allowance, there's a mismatch of about .009".

The collet is capable, but it's not a great solution (although I've been known to do it, too!).

H