Wanted 1/4" brass angle 36" length

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Solar1953

Wanted 1/4" brass angle 36" length

Post by Solar1953 »

This might not be the right place to ask this, but does anyone know of a source for brass angle 1/4" x 1/4" x 36"L? I used to get it from Special Shapes but their website has closed down, and I assume they have, too.
Greg_Lewis

Re: Wanted 1/4" brass angle 36" length

Post by Greg_Lewis »

K&S has it in 12-inch lengths. If you need 36" all in one piece you might be able to special order it from them.
http://ksmetals.com/32.html
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Caribou Doug

Post by Caribou Doug »

Solar 1953,

I am out on travel for work at the moment but I can have someone in my shop check in the next day or so. I know I have several long lengths of angle but need to confirm the dimensions. I have acquired a pretty good selection of brass stock in longer lengths over the years as you can never have enough. I have a good relationship with a lot of the scrap yards in Ohio and I typically buy all the brass stock that comes in (much less expensive that way). Can you confirm the dimensions are 1/4 x 1/4 x 36 ? does it matter what the material thickness is ?

Doug
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi All

It beat the heck out of me that people can't find this product. I spent 3 min. looking for it and found it at online metals. They have 1/4 X 1/4 x .062 thick in any length you need . A 6 foot piece of this is only $7.50 plus shipping. here is the link. You have the power of the internet use it.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/?gclid=Cjw ... T3_RG2qc1r_
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Good suggestion, Trainman!
I have used Onlinemetals extensively during the past 25 years.
Of course, living 1 mile from them helped!
Now, living distant, I still find their selection and service to be excellent.
'Just received an order from them last week, 24 hours after I ordered it!
~RN
Solar1953

Post by Solar1953 »

Thanks Gents...I appreciate the the suggestions. But, in my haste, I failed to mention that I had need of it in 1/32" thickness. I KNOW about Online Metals, they are one of the first places I looked, and while they DO stock it in 1/16", that's a bit thicker than I need. But thanks Trainman, for the link. And I am in contact with K&S in an attempt to see if they will special cut it for me. But I am still open to further suggestions as to sources. Thanks again, guys!
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

There are a couple of old-line suppliers I miss . . Special Shapes is one, and Northeastern Scale Models (milled wood shapes.)

I'll be interested to hear if you get a response from K&S. My guess is their angle will be brake metal (bent) rather than milled.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Caribou Doug

Post by Caribou Doug »

Solar 1953,
I arrived home from travel and looked through my brass inventory. Unfortunately I do not have any 1/4 x 1/4 in the thickness you are looking for. Everything I have is thicker. Sorry I could not be of help. Best of luck in your quest.

Doug
Solar1953

Post by Solar1953 »

Hi Guys! I am happy to report that K&S came thru! And the material they sent me appears to be extruded, or milled, and not bent with a Brake. There are a couple of points worthy of note, tho....they have a $100 minimum on special order materials, and plus, since it IS a special order, they have to have it special cut. For me, it took about a week before it was actually shipped. But, they DID deliver what I needed!! And the $100 minimum was no problem owing to how much of it I needed.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That was pretty quick delivery for a special order!
Thanks for letting us know.
~RN
kovacjr

Post by kovacjr »

FYI KS Metals and Special Shapes are/were the same company. They seemed to phase out the SS line due to slow sales but offer all as a special order. So KS will make most old SS offerings. They are all milled from solid for all T C and L shapes.

Rob is the guy that handles all quotes and orders for special orders.

ksmetals2rob@aol.com

Also note they will precut and material to length too.

Just a happy customer.

Jay Kovac