1" Scale Reefer Kits

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

SPSteam2491

1" Scale Reefer Kits

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Introducing the newest kit from Pacific Design Shops, the wood sided Pacific Fruit Express reefer for 1” scale. Based off the reefers that ran all over the US during the 1920’s-1950’s, this car kit is based off a PFE model but could also be used for Eastern railway reefers (such as Fruit Growers Express) or other Western Railway reefers (such as SFRD).

The basic car kit comes complete with:

17 pieces of ½” Baltic Birch Frame CNC cut Body (sides, ends, doors, roof, bolster support, roof frame)
10 pieces of Grooved ¼” MDF for outside shell (sides, ends, doors and roof)
Roof Walkways and supports
Wood Hatch Covers
Wood Hatch Platform (Steel Roof Models only)
“Fish belly” frame outline in ¼” MDF
Detailed instructions (including drilling templates, paint colors and painting/detail recommendations based on PFE models)

The pricing for the kits is broken up into tiers to fit the budget of every hobbyist. Currently, just plastic non working door hardware is available but metal working versions are in the works. The plastic hardware will be available to purchase separate from the kit. Grabirons and ladders are made from metal. Please note that shipping is not included in the price. Shipping will vary but will average to around ~$75 per kit.

Tier I (Basic Car Kit):
Wood Roof Version: $230
Steel Roof Version*: $245

Tier III (Basic Car Kit + Non Working Plastic Door Hinges & Roof Hatch Hinges + Grabirons/Ladders & Stirrups):
Wood Roof Version w/ Grabirons: $360
Wood Roof Version w/ Ladders: $375
Steel Roof Version* w/ Grabirons: $375
Steel Roof Version* w/ Ladders: $390

*Steel roof version is not made from steel. It is a smooth rather than grooved MDF roof that once painted, simulates a steel roof.*

Items that are not included with the kit are:
Trucks & Bolsters
Couplers
Hardware (nails, screws, bolts, etc.)
Brake Platform & Wheel
Paint
Decals

This will be a limited run kit with kits shipping out in July and reservations open until June. First come, first served. Please send me a PM for what tier and version you are interested in and I will get you a shipping quote within a week. No money needs to be collected at this time.

If you don’t know what version, I would be happy to help you figure out an appropriate car from the year you would like to model.

Finally, there will be a completed car finished by the end of May so you can see what a completed kit with all the details on it will look like. That will include the door and roof hardware as well as a ladder.

You can also follow the build log of this car here: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 2&start=60
Attachments
Example Steel Roof Version
Example Steel Roof Version
Example Wood Roof Version
Example Wood Roof Version
Kit in Progress
Kit in Progress
Painting in Progress
Painting in Progress
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Re: 1" Scale Reefer Kits

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Here are a couple examples from the full size showing the difference between grabirons and ladders on the ends and side of the cars.
Reefer with Grabirons
Reefer with Grabirons
Reefer with Ladders
Reefer with Ladders
Grabirons were used on early cars and up until the late 1920's. Ladders were first used on the R-40-1 class in 1927 and later all cars (both new and rebuilt) had ladders.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Here are some pictures of what a completed kit could look like.
1in Car Complete 1.jpg
1in Car Complete 2.jpg
1in Car Complete 3.jpg
1in Car Complete 4.jpg
And I want to give some updated pricing for the plastic detail version. The prototype parts came out better than expected and there is a price reduction. The new prices are:

Tier III (Basic Car Kit + Non Working Plastic Door Hinges & Roof Hatch Hinges + Grabirons/Ladders & Stirrups):
Wood Roof Version w/ Grabirons: $330 (was $360)
Wood Roof Version w/ Ladders: $345 (was $375)
Steel Roof Version* w/ Grabirons: $345 (was $375)
Steel Roof Version* w/ Ladders: $360 (was $390)

I hope to have pricing for working metal door hinges by the end of this week. Please keep in mind that the metal working detail parts may not be ready for a July ship date but I can ship the kits separately from the detail parts as to give the user some more flexibility on when they can start their kit.

Please contact me if you have any questions or if you are interested in a kit.
1" Door Detail Parts - Non working Plastic
1" Door Detail Parts - Non working Plastic
1" Roof Detail Parts - Non Working Plastic
1" Roof Detail Parts - Non Working Plastic
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
Locodundee

Post by Locodundee »

Had seen photos on FB, material etched MDF ?
What length over body & approximate weight with trucks etc ?
A caboose available ?
Dale
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Dale,
The grooves on the sides are milled on a CNC router, not etched like from a laser cutter. That allows them to be more pronounced after painting.
Overall length of the car is 45" over the couplers (about 41" from end to end). Weight with trucks is about 70 lbs.

I have plans for a caboose but timing for the release of that kit is TBD. Lots of other outside factors are affecting that.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops