Rapid build RR truck castings listing

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

ChipsAhoy

Rapid build RR truck castings listing

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Here is the listing for the "Simulated Arch Bar" castings. It also list the castings to make trucks for 4 3/4" and 5" guage.
It also list PLA Patterns for sale.
http://newproductllc.com/railway-truck- ... nch-gauge/
Mike Walsh

Re: Rapid build RR truck castings listing

Post by Mike Walsh »

Interesting. They list the archbar trucks as being 6061 aluminum, but that is a wrought alloy designation... I am curious as to what alloy it is. Since it is still on the gating, I would suspect that they have not been heat treated - but it is possible that they put the full casting in the heat treat oven also...
Harold_V

Re: Rapid build RR truck castings listing

Post by Harold_V »

That's a good observation.
In defense work, it's not uncommon for obsolete parts being remade. I worked at a facility where that was the case. The parts required were apparently originally made from 6061, but the replacements were cast from the same material (in lieu of fabricating from bar stock), but with mixed results, as 6061 does not cast as well as materials intended to be cast. Your questions are well founded.

It should be noted that if a heat treatable aluminum is in the solution annealed state, it will self harden over time. Hardening, in this type of material, is caused by grain growth, and can be accelerated by proper heat treatment.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.