Coles New Corliss Engine (Not the original one)

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Coles New Corliss Engine (Not the original one)

Post by gwrdriver »

I'm looking for information on the larger Corliss that Coles offered in the years before they closed. Simply a catalogue page, or any information on the origins of the design, drawings, and/or patterns would be useful.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
BAdams

Re: Coles New Corliss Engine (Not the original one)

Post by BAdams »

Here's a screen shot from the archived web page from 2010 on the "Wayback Machine" https://web.archive.org/web/20100309073 ... ngines.htm
Coles Corliss.jpg
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

BA,
Thanks for the post but that's the "old" (original) Coles Corliss and IIRC they listed a "new" Corliss in the years shortly before they closed.

BTW that Wayback archive is a great thing to have exist.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

The Wayback (https://web.archive.org/) is a handy dandy tool to be sure!
The last page they captured on 10/23/16 still only showed the old unit in the engine list.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

There was one in LSORR a few years back.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
8thscale

Post by 8thscale »

This is a page from Coles catalog No. 26. I was told this was the 'last' catalog. This is the only Corllss I can find in the '98 and '01 price lists.

I have a '03 price list from Martin? Becker? after it moved to Hollywood. This referenced that same No. 26 catalog.

They were sold to Texas? next, I never saw anything from them.

Yes I enjoy reading w/ paper in hand!
Dave
Attachments
Scan1.PDF
(136.71 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

I have one of the last corliss engines Cole's had. It is a nice piece. Since Cole's is history, I have not seen anyone pick up the model. The widow was trying to sell the model collection, she responded to an email I had sent, but she did not follow through with photos and information.
I've not heard of who has the patterns and copyrights.
Tom
My wheels don't slow me down
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Do you all remember the Heckel (or Hanson) Lane & Bodely Corliss, the big one, originally from 1938-39, which was subsequently serialized in Live Steam? That's the Corliss model, or one similar to it, I recall seeing briefly advertised from Coles, and that was in addition to the Chas. Coles Corliss.

What I'm doing is trying to piece together a "family tree", of sorts, of US model Corliss engine designs and castings which have existed, for no purpose other than my own education.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

tetramachine wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:45 pm I have one of the last corliss engines Cole's had. It is a nice piece. Since Cole's is history, I have not seen anyone pick up the model. The widow was trying to sell the model collection, she responded to an email I had sent, but she did not follow through with photos and information.
I've not heard of who has the patterns and copyrights.
Tom
The Cole's "business" is still owned by Ken Rhodes Sr. and all of the assets are sitting in TX at his location. I spoke with him several years ago as I was interested in purchasing the patterns for one of the designs. He told me that it was not possible to break up the business as many of the patterns are "family molds" (where there parts of several different models/designs mounted on one match plate.) He wanted $100k for the whole business.
-Frank K.