3.5" Gauge 2-8-0, The Jim Vail Engine

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

rwmorris

3.5" Gauge 2-8-0, The Jim Vail Engine

Post by rwmorris »

Well.... I'm going to regret this but the decision has been made.... This is going up for sale....
Built between 1968 and 1975'ish this Mexican Narrow Gauge 2-8-0 was built and is one of the finest examples of 3.5" gauge loco's around. Those of you have been involved with Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazzette Magazine will surly know Jim Vail. A master model builder and huge contributor to the industry his Product reviews and Modeling tips have been enjoyed by many through the years..... Here's a chance to own his Live Steam Engine.

Jim decided that this was an irresistible little pokey Locomotive and that he had to build a operating scale model of it. During a rail-fan trip to Mexico in the late 60's he broke out the camera and apparently a real GOOD tape measure. This engine is true to the Real thing in every shape and form. Prototype data can be found here:
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/consolidation/?page=ndm

More Specific:
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/consolid ... ruelsa.jpg
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/consolidation/ndm269.jpg
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/consolid ... m269-2.jpg

The thing that blows me away is the fact that this was his first... And his only Live Steam Locomotive... Here he is back at Redwood Park somewhere around 1969 ~ 1972 era.....

It was built and run quite a bit before being sold to various members of GGLS and bouncing around for many years before I ended up with it this last year. My plan was to restore it to its original condition and complete the tender that never was. I called Jim after dragging this home and he was quite surprised to know of its whereabouts! Jim informed me that it never did get a tender.... But that he ran the wheels off of it and enjoyed it immensely. Kids came along and Family life got busy so the BIG project was sold. Bill Bickel was the first owner and then it was sold to Henry Pass. It was Henry's house in Oakland that I remember seeing this Awesome machine displayed on his wall of famous Small Scale Loco's... Including Vic Shattock's 3/4" SP 2422 Pacific... Ah to own that one....

Well enough of that... Let's get down to the nitty gritty... It's for sale and here's the scoup...

Approximately 1 1/16" Scale
3 1/2" Gauge
2-8-0 Outside Frame Loco
Walsharts Valve Gear
Piston Valve cylinders
Complete Equalized Suspention
Mech Lubricator located between the frame in the front. "Oil is supplied via the Sand Dome" The sander lines head down to the lubricator.... Slick...
6" Diameter Copper Boiler
Tons of 1/2" flues and 3 5/8" or 3/4" Super Heater flues.
Super Heater Unit
Combustion Chamber integral to the firebox Firebox.
Oil Fired, Burner is at the front of the firebox and the atomizer is controlled via a regulator inside the cab.
All American Pressure Gauge, But witha revised etched/silkscreened face to display "Vail Locomotive Works"
All castings were total one off deals that required Jim to make all the patterns and then cast them up. The little detail in the crosshead guides as well as the cylinder block containing lettering for Vail locomotive works is just stunning... Keep looking... The detail is everywhere....

Here's some additional Photo's for you:

So.... Yep, there is no tender... And someone has done their best to remove the feed water piping etc... Well that's a point against the deal for sure but don't let that scare you. The boiler checked out just fine as expected and the thing runs like like the wind when tested on air. I recently received the video from Ken Shattock that shows video footage from GGLS in the early 1970's and sure enough here's this engine charging along the high line with the little counterweights a blur! So it will run just fine....

I have a video of the thing running on air but I' can't seem to find it on the computer... Might be on the one at home so I'll check... I will up load it to this thread once I do.

The deal is $4500.00.... I'm open to crating it up and shipping it as well.... We can discuss the different methods on that as the time arises...

PM me with questions and what not...

Robert M.
rwmorris

Re: 3.5" Gauge 2-8-0, The Jim Vail Engine

Post by rwmorris »

Loco Sold..... In a good home and in GOOD Hands. :)

Cheers,

Robert M.
SteveM

Re: 3.5" Gauge 2-8-0, The Jim Vail Engine

Post by SteveM »

Nice looking loco and and a reasonable price. Not surprised it sold.

For sure, you're not going to take that loco to a meet and see three others just like it!

Steve