Mich-Cal 2 Shay

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

locoray0

Mich-Cal 2 Shay

Post by locoray0 »

Hi lm a new boy in town could anybody give me some advice l want to build a Mich-Cal 2 Shay l could not believe it when l was asked if l would like some bits for the Shay it worked out a freind of mine started to do the shay then lost intrest in it he has welded the boiler all l have to do is to get the tubes and put them in if also got the side frams andthe bent inor for the trucks and a set of drawings is it best to follow the drawings or use metal instead of allunin :D :D P.S l live in the U.K/
steamin10

Re: Mich-Cal 2 Shay

Post by steamin10 »

You did not mention what scale you are working in.

I have the plans for a 2.5 scale 1888 Mich cal shay. Its joy is that it is primitive, and rather simple construction. I have this to recomend:

Anything over 1.5 scale should have Iron wheels. It should have a steel channel frame, not aluminum. The use of aluminum will reduce the weight, and you need that for traction. Several models I have seen, built from the Harris plans, had broken cross members and braces. The engine, built from stuart castings, is too big for the 1.5 inch version. Brass and Bronze bar stock could build this two cylinder engine of proper size, with just a little plan work.

Make the seat on the rear tank, and put hinges on the cab roof. Modify the rear truck for the engineers weight. The trucks can be built unsrpung, just equalised. The gear side is stable, the other side is equalizing, like a three leg stool.

If all you have to do is Flue the boiler, you are fortunate indeed, it is an odd bit of work. Good luck.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
locoray0

Post by locoray0 »

Hi dave,
Sorry not to say the scale its 2.1/2 is there any mods that you no of l have steel channel for the frams,

Regard Ray :D
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I too have started this engine, and life keeps me away. No , not many mods. It is a fairly straight forward build, I guess the hardest is that boiler of T configuration, and the many parts that are the trucks. Easy, but time consuming. I stopped on the aluminum parts and switched to steel except the axle boxes. They are carved from aluminum blocks. I am going to cast some cored bronze Bar for the engine parts and build it up from bar stock. Cheers!
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.