Wanted.. a piece of sheet metal

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Re: Wanted.. a piece of sheet metal

Post by gwrdriver »

JohnHudak wrote:I've seen what sheared edges look like and I don't want mine that way.
One of the things that irritate me (in life in general) are people who feel entitled to question very specific and personalized choices which in no way directly affect them or anyone's safety or well-being. I know exactly what John is talking about, I typically buy steel sheet stock oversized myself, just so I can mill or file off the sheared edges, and it doesn't matter if it's going to be seen or not, although almost always it will be seen. I want to do it that way because I WANT TO DO IT THAT WAY! This is a personal preference, there is no one side or another here, no see it both ways. Once John or I say "I don't want mine that way" the conversation about why we made that choice or whether it's what you would have us do is over.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
joerom

Post by joerom »

gwrdriver,
Very well said,and to the point.
Joe
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

gwrdriver wrote:
JohnHudak wrote:I've seen what sheared edges look like and I don't want mine that way.
One of the things that irritate me (in life in general) are people who feel entitled to question very specific and personalized choices which in no way directly affect them or anyone's safety or well-being. I know exactly what John is talking about, I typically buy steel sheet stock oversized myself, just so I can mill or file off the sheared edges, and it doesn't matter if it's going to be seen or not, although almost always it will be seen. I want to do it that way because I WANT TO DO IT THAT WAY! This is a personal preference, there is no one side or another here, no see it both ways. Once John or I say "I don't want mine that way" the conversation about why we made that choice or whether it's what you would have us do is over.
I will say the same thing. I hate shear cut edges. I keep getting told that the shear cut edge is "good enough", but like John, it's usually not.

Even on Midshipman projects that the student typically doesn't care how it looks as long as it works. And, at the end of the year; the majority of the projects end up in the dumpster. One was rescued by a coworker last spring that I was kidded about quite a bit....I was told I was polishing a turd. The students didn't know exactly what they wanted and I had to be their mechanical engineer because they didn't have one on their team. They were all Naval Architects. Needless to say all that expensive aluminum was resued and will get reused and I saved some parts that I had quite a few hours in. The enginners from Carderock that were consulting them were impressed with what I had made for them and they told me so.

I may not be a tool and die maker like John...but I know what it takes to make good parts that look good and work like they should. I know quite a few on this board that feel the same way, also.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Speaking as a repair guy, that is a Kludge with a Hamma, I do things for time and performance, and dont do jewelry. That is my path I learned, and have to adjust it to make Jewelry. ( Moms diamond CAT earings, with Champagne diamond eyes). It was a trial.

I have no problem with a person that raises the bar, and makes museum pieces. The workings are much the same, clearly the other focus is fit and finish. I offer no clear criticism to such standard and admire them.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

steamin10 wrote:Speaking as a repair guy, that is a Kludge with a Hamma, I do things for time and performance, and dont do jewelry. That is my path I learned, and have to adjust it to make Jewelry. ( Moms diamond CAT earings, with Champagne diamond eyes). It was a trial.

I have no problem with a person that raises the bar, and makes museum pieces. The workings are much the same, clearly the other focus is fit and finish. I offer no clear criticism to such standard and admire them.
Nothing wrong with your philosophy Dave. I know quite a few guys that just want to get running and they have built fine running models that look just fine. As long as the builder is happy ith what he's made, that's all that counts.

I will quote my good friend Ray: "Show me the one you built".

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Thanks to all who emailed me with information on the sheet metal. It has been taken care of, and hopefully I will pick it up Saturday...
John