Wanted 3/4 inch Live Steam Engine

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Brian Tusin

Wanted 3/4 inch Live Steam Engine

Post by Brian Tusin »

My 3/4 inch Bonds Royal Scot needs a lot more done to the running gear then I had thought and I am really over my head in what it requires. So what I am looking for is a running or close to running 3/4 inch Atlantic, Pacific, Hudson, or similar sized engine. You can contact me through a PM on this site or my email address. viperbpt@yahoo.com

Thank you,
Brian
Brian Tusin

Re: Wanted 3/4 inch Live Steam Engine

Post by Brian Tusin »

I still have not found a locomotive yet so if anyone knows of a 3/4 inch steam engine or even a 4 3/4 inch engine for sale I would be interested. I have seen the 3/4 inch 2-4-0 for sale on Discover Live Steam but I would like something a bit bigger than it. Brian
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

How about seeing if anyone here can fix your existing engine?

Several people here do that kind of "rehab" work.

Steve
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

What's the problem with your locomotive? What part of Ohio are you in?

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

Andy,

It pretty much needs new bearings on all of the axles, most likely a new rear axle as coal soot got into the bearings, new rod bushings, new piston valves, pistons, the cylinders bored (they have scratches in them and the engine had a TON of blow by when I ran it), and a new boiler. I did not get to see it run before I bought it, and trusted the only thing wrong with it was a problem with the lubricator which was an easy fix. Plus I would like to do the work by myself. Right now I do not have the tools or experience to be able to do the work.

Brian
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Hi Brian,

I'm sending an email to the above address....

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Andy, I inspected the boiler for Brian. I don't have my notes in front of me, but it really does need a new boiler. The top of the Belpaire firebox was bulged between the stays. If I remember correctly it had a ..093 outer wrapper with a .125" inner firebox. The crown stays are .187" dia on a 2" spacing, and I seem to recall it was 3" or more from the front of the firebox to the first crown stay.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Marty_Knox wrote:Andy, I inspected the boiler for Brian. I don't have my notes in front of me, but it really does need a new boiler. The top of the Belpaire firebox was bulged between the stays. If I remember correctly it had a ..093 outer wrapper with a .125" inner firebox. The crown stays are .187" dia on a 2" spacing, and I seem to recall it was 3" or more from the front of the firebox to the first crown stay.
Sounds like a new boiler to me, too....Seems like the stays are awfully far apart for a copper boiler, too...

Andy
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

I am still looking for a running 3/4 inch engine if anyone has or knows of one for sale.

Brian
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

Brian : I have a 1" sacle 4-6-0 Royal Scot for sale ,copper boiler,axle pump , injector,build by Henry Hosper's of FLL club
back in the 1965 outside walschaert valve gear, new pistons & rings last winter 4 3/4 " gauge + riding car with pad brake,engine has steam brakes , needs paint job
if interested contact me
Joe
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

If a 2-4-0 is a bit small for you, then I guess a TICH would be out of the question... :lol:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

I am still looking for an engine. I will be at the NJLS meet at the end of the month. Any help in finding and engine would be appreciated.

Brian