1-1/2" Scale NKP Berkshire Chassis For Sale

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

JKreider

1-1/2" Scale NKP Berkshire Chassis For Sale

Post by JKreider »

Bruno Platzer, Howard Gorin, and I are building three NKP Berkshire chassis running on air for sale. These chassis will have the smokebox machined also.
PM me for details.
Marty Knox is currently building boilers for the Berkshires. Of course, the cab parts, tender tank kit, cast tender frame, tender truck parts, and many detail parts are available also.

Jim Kreider
101_5380-1.jpg
101_5377-1.jpg
101_5375-1.jpg
101_5371-1.jpg
101_5368-1.jpg
101_5367-1.jpg
JKreider

Re: 1-1/2" Scale NKP Berkshire Chassis For Sale

Post by JKreider »

- All of the castings are either ductile iron or bronze and fully cored where applicable. The fully cored, ductile iron cylinder block mold, for instance, requires 24 cores.
- Driver axles are hardened and ground. They run in combined radial and thrust needle bearings which are enclosed in a one-piece grease-retaining axle box.
- Crankpins and wrist pins are hardened and ground. Rod bushings are 660 bearing bronze.
- All rods are machined out of steel and electroless nickel plated. All small rods and valve gear have bronze bushings.
- There are many precision lost wax castings on the chassis; valve gear & valve crosshead guides, for instance. Many lost wax castings are available for the model.
- The main and rear drivers have coil springs as per the prototype. The front and intermediate drivers have leaf spring bundles made of phosphor bronze.
A detailed parts brochure is available on the Real Trains website, www.realtrains.com, under the tab “Special Order Forms”.
This locomotive is a proven design with many running or under construction.
Delivery would probably be no later than the end of the year.
The chassis in the photos took about 14 months but it was the first one (not part of the three) that we did for a client in New Jersey.
Many parts are already machined for the three we are doing now and assembly has begun.
We have to really wait until a chassis is actually ordered and a deposit made before all assembly and machining can be completed because we need to know the desired gauge, 7-1/4 or 7-1/2.

Jim Kreider
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Wow! That's some nice work!

Steve
FredR

Post by FredR »

I asked Santa if he would get me one, but he just laughed at me and told me to get my own :cry: Very nice looking....
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Thanks for the nice comments guys. The engines seemed to have turned out well but when you have people like Bruno Platzer and Jack Bodenmann working on them - Well!!!!!!!!!

Jim Kreider
FredR

Post by FredR »

Heck, just the mention of those two should sell 'em :D
JKreider wrote:Thanks for the nice comments guys. The engines seemed to have turned out well but when you have people like Bruno Platzer and Jack Bodenmann working on them - Well!!!!!!!!!

Jim Kreider
Locodundee

Post by Locodundee »

I am inquiring about the Berkshire/s if available and what price?? Thanks locodundee on this web and email locodundee@Iserv.net
streamlinedhudson
Location: summers San Juan Island Washington, winters Southern California

Post by streamlinedhudson »

Nice work on the Berkshire, have you got an estimate on the price in 7.5 gage? Thanks drdiener@pdcourses.net