A bit off topic.....

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Andypullen

A bit off topic.....

Post by Andypullen »

Hi all,

Attached are some pics of a part I'm making a pair of for the Formula SAE racecar team here at USNA.

It's one of the front hubs and was made on a ProtoTrak K-2 cnc milling machine. I started with a hunk of 6" diameter aluminum and roughed it out....Then, it went into some soft jaws in the mill and was profiled to match the Solid Works model. The soft jaws were cut again and the part was flipped over to cut the disk brake mounting ears.

I'm only posting this here because I'm in the process of purchasing a ProtoTrak K-3 mill for my home shop. It will be available to make your steam engine parts in about 3 months....If you need something quoted, don't hesitate to contact me....

Thank you for looking.

Andy Pullen

P.S., Harold, if this needs to be moved, then by all means, please move it to the appropriate forum....Thanks.
Attachments
DSC06468.JPG
DSC06469.JPG
DSC06470.JPG
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Andypullen

Re: A bit off topic.....

Post by Andypullen »

The mounting holes need to be drilled and the bearing diameter need to be bored in the previous pics....

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Dan Willey

Post by Dan Willey »

Hi Andy... interesting part. Any chance of getting a Youtube of some of the action on the CNC?

Thanks, Dan
1/8 scale: Mercer Locomotive K4, Saturated Steam E6
Full scale: Woodings CBL speeder/motorcar NARCOA
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Looks like USNA's got a secret weapon for the Formula SAE race - Andy!

Keep us posted on the stuff you are making (although you may want to wait to show us until AFTER the race!)

Steve
jschoenly

Post by jschoenly »

Nice weight reduction on those hubs. We had some beefy looking ones on the Pitt car for years. I did a few custom aluminum differentials for our cars. If I can dig up some pictures, I'll try to post some. Cool stuff!
Jared Schoenly

Cabin Fever Expo
Model Engineering of all sorts.....
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Hi Dan and Steve,

When I get the machine at home; I'll be happy to post videos of it....As I said, I'm purchasing a K-3 mill. The table travels are 32" x 16" with 16" of knee travel. Anything that will fit into that envelope or that can be cut and slid; I'll be happy to quote. The more complex the better. Frames, side and main rods, valve gear, cylinders, patterns....You name it....(I made a set of rods for one of my locomotives on it last year as I was getting up to speed with the new control. My supervisor prefers to have his people learn a new control with what we call "holly golly" jobs.....I supplied the material and made a set of rods for my 1" Atlantic.See the first pic.) It has what is called A.G.E.: Auto Geometry Engine. Input the points and the machine walks you through the part even with incomplete drawings. I have a couple of parts waiting to get into the machine when it arrives.

I am still turning wheels, axles and other parts in the 2 lathes....

The second picture is an injector mount for a Hummer engine that the Propulsion department is doing some research on. It is made to replace the stock fuel injector and use a VW/Audi injector supposedly because it runs at a higher pressure. That was a fun part to carve out.

We also have at USNA: 4 HAAS milling centers, a pair of HAAS toolroom lathes, a Haas turning center, a pair of ONA wire EDM machines, a waterjet that needs to be brought online and a cnc punch press. I'm not running train parts for customers on any of these machines.

I'm not exactly a secret weapon....We do have 2 other very talented young machinists in the shop and a good EDM man. Along with a man nipple that doesn't do much of anything, but that's another story.

Thank you again for looking....

Andy Pullen
Attachments
Atlantic rods.jpg
Hummer injector mount.JPG
pkastagehand

Post by pkastagehand »

Andypullen wrote: "... prefers to have his people learn a new control with what we call "holly golly" jobs...."
Andy Pullen
Hi Andy,

Funny expression. What is the origin of that?

Shortly after high school I want to work for a local DuPont plant (Seneca IL works; now gone). Some of the older guys in the shops used to refer to jobs they were doing for themselves as "government jobs". I wonder if that was a carryover from war days when war/government work was the priority work.

Paul
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

pkastagehand wrote:
Andypullen wrote: "... prefers to have his people learn a new control with what we call "holly golly" jobs...."
Andy Pullen
Hi Andy,

Funny expression. What is the origin of that?

Shortly after high school I want to work for a local DuPont plant (Seneca IL works; now gone). Some of the older guys in the shops used to refer to jobs they were doing for themselves as "government jobs". I wonder if that was a carryover from war days when war/government work was the priority work.

Paul
Hi Paul,

I don't know the origin of the expression....It's a Naval Academy idiosyncracy...They are called "boondoggles" at the PAX River Naval Air Station...."homies" at Fort Detrick....at the gov't facilities I've worked at; government jobs are actual jobs....

Here's a pic of something else it has made....union links out of 303 stainless.

Andy Pullen
Attachments
DSC06471.JPG