1-1/2" Scale Beyer-Garratt

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, gwrdriver

JKreider

1-1/2" Scale Beyer-Garratt

Post by JKreider » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:18 pm

- 1-1/2” scale, 7-1/2” gauge 0-4-0+0-4-0 Beyer Garratt locomotive chassis from the estate of the late Bruce Ward.
- The design which Bruce appeared to be following were the four standard gauge locomotives of the “William Frances” design built for copper smelters and collieries in England, the last one built in 1936. The prototype locomotives were all slide valve engines. This model is equipped with inside admission piston valves.
- The running gear appears complete and able to run on air. Needed are the steam and exhaust piping to the two engines and the valve control levers, etc. The smoke box and front are machined and ready for the boiler.
- Other parts are designed, such as the boiler, for which drawings are available and come with the package, as well as many Buyer Garrett drawings and photos used for reference.
- The chassis could be converted to 7-1/4” gauge but there is little clearance (on the order of 3/16”) between the back of the drivers and the frame which would bring the drivers to 1/16” from the frame if the back-to-back were brought in ¼”. Some creative frame modification might be necessary. One could shrink new tires on the drivers. The driver pattern is included.
- The workmanship is excellent.
- Price; $6000.00.

Jim Kreider
Attachments
BW2.JPG
BW1.JPG
BW3.JPG
BW4.JPG
BW5.JPG
BW6.JPG
BW7.JPG

Curtis_F

Re: 1-1/2" Scale Beyer-Garratt

Post by Curtis_F » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:40 am

Jim,

I can't afford this fine engine, and it's not my cup of tea anyway, but I do have to ask if there is some way you could find and include all the SolidWorks files Bruce made for this engine?

Bruce spent a lot of time working out this engine on the computer, lots of electronic blueprints. Several pieces on the engine were rapid-prototyped and investment cast.

If possible it would be nice to see the information & files stay with the chassis here in the 21st century.

Hope you find a good person to take on this project,

Curtis F.
16 Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops

JKreider

Re: 1-1/2" Scale Beyer-Garratt

Post by JKreider » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:50 am

Curtis:

You brought up a good point.
Cary Stewart and I are in the process of going through Bruce's computer files with that very idea of putting together all of the electronic files associated with this engine and including them with the engine.
As you stated, Bruce did do a lot of both 2D drawings and 3D modeling on this locomotive.
There are some rapid-prototyped pieces for fittings and some actual parts made from RP masters such as the stack and steam supply pipe fittings which, of course, we will include with the engine.

Jim Kreider