Turbo generators?

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

NGT_Models

Re: Turbo generators?

Post by NGT_Models »

Guys...,

We can hook you up with either a 1.5'' Sunbeam or 2.5'' Pyle K-240. We're acting as an agent for MidWest Models, simply forwarding sales. They're doing a Batch of the K-240 turbos for May of 2012. I know 5 are sold through me, and two of the Sunbeams as well. You can contact NGT Models to order.

We don't make any money off these sales..., so this isn't me pitching anything.

Zoë
bill4227

Post by bill4227 »

Is this what you are looking for? http://ngtmodels.com/turbo-generators.htm

Bill
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Yes, exactly what we're looking for.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Andy Rafferty

Post by Andy Rafferty »

PRR5406 wrote:Suppose you take a good quality 12 volt DC motor out of an old tape recorder, place a wheel on it and build a container from copper tubing. Seal off one end with an insulated piece, then pass steam through a contained chamber. Would that work, in theory? In practice?
I've got hundreds more hours on mine than any one could count no failures in 20 years. You're on the wrong track with the recorder motor. Unless you are building 4" scale and the bearings are too light. A standard slot car motor with sleeve bronze bearings and a single 60 bucket turbine is in mine. Good luck with yours.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

It was only an inquiry, Andy, not a challenge! Best of luck with your product, and continued success!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Andy Rafferty wrote:
PRR5406 wrote:Suppose you take a good quality 12 volt DC motor out of an old tape recorder, place a wheel on it and build a container from copper tubing. Seal off one end with an insulated piece, then pass steam through a contained chamber. Would that work, in theory? In practice?
I've got hundreds more hours on mine than any one could count no failures in 20 years. You're on the wrong track with the recorder motor. Unless you are building 4" scale and the bearings are too light. A standard slot car motor with sleeve bronze bearings and a single 60 bucket turbine is in mine. Good luck with yours.
This subject holds an interest for me. Out of curiosity, has anyone built their own generator/alternator for these miniatures? If so, has silver been considered for wire instead of copper? It is a better conductor, but only marginally. Would there be any benefits?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Didn't LS Supply use and off-the-shelf motor in theirs?
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

I believe they did. At the rotational speed that the turbine revolves brushes and bearings will lead a short and miserable life if the armature windings do not bird cage first. I also believe they took molds from the Mosely turbogenerator.
If not they copied the errors in the Mosely castings exactly.
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Howard
I sent you a PM about the castings for the generators. I am interested in a set of castings for one. I can machine them.
Please let me know the cost.

Thanks Tim