LBSC Type Ratchet Wheels

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Carrdo

LBSC Type Ratchet Wheels

Post by Carrdo »

A dozen LBSC type ratchet wheels ready for heat treating (hardening and tempering). They probably won't look quite as pretty after they come out of the furnace. I should have them ready by the middle of next week.

I am going to keep 3 or 4 and the rest are for sale. $8. each or 2 for $15. plus postage (cheapest method via Canada Post unless you want something else). PM me and I will get the postage cost. Local pickup available.

If you don't want any, that is fine too as I showed you how to make them.

The specs are:

7/16" OD, 3/32" thick with a 3/32" diameter reamed center hole, 36 teeth and made from 01 drill rod. They will end up hardened throughout not only the teeth.

Am not going to make any more as I have had enough of indirect indexing. For those of you who have done this, it is one revolution of the plunger plus 2 holes on the "A" index plate, 18 hole circle.

One thing I did find out - so far I can't say I like production work.
Attachments
135 A Dozen Ratchet Wheels Ready for Heat Treating.jpg
Carrdo

Re: LBSC Type Ratchet Wheels

Post by Carrdo »

All of the extra wheels have now been spoken for.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Carrdo wrote:One thing I did find out - so far I can't say I like production work.
It demands a certain type of personality. When one finds himself so involved, there are things to do to promote interest in the routine at hand.

You think making a dozen of an object is production? Try several hundred parts that have multiple operations with demanding specifications. It really sorts those that can from those that think they can.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Carrdo wrote:All of the extra wheels have now been spoken for.
Sounds like you've got a market for more.

The LBSC design is probably very widely used.

Steve
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Steve,

I'm back to pinning brake lugs onto lead truck frames for the moment and I still have to finish and get the product into the hands of those who ordered them.

I won't say no ever again but first things first. For me a dozen items is production at least mentally and with the equipment at hand.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Following heat treatment.

A file now just bounces off the surface. They are thoroughly hardened and tempered throughout. Probably overkill but likely to last longer than I will.

I did worry about how this would all turn out so as a precaution we (Richard and I) ran a blank (shown in the photo) through the furnace first. Did learn that these small pieces cool off very quickly after being taken out of the furnace. As a result, with the dozen ratchet lot, we positioned the quenching oil after heating so the ratchets could be hooked out of the furnace and into the quenching oil in about a second. Then stir gently and while everything was still warm the parts were rushed upstairs and into the preheated kitchen oven for tempering.

Anyway, am not going to speak about everything learned about heat treating but to relate a story where I learned a lot about heat treating.

On Friday evening last we had the November meeting of TSME. At the meeting I gave a talk about the making of these ratchets. Just as a reminder we have people like Bill Huxhold and Dave Powell, 10 engineers with probably 250 years of combined industry experience and numerous technologists and toolmakers all of whom have extensive knowledge of machinery steels and the heat treating of metals. So, I gave my talk on what I was doing and how I was doing it.

They were laughing their heads off. Said I read too much and worry too much and that the one causes the other.

First question, so how much money have you lost on this so far?

First comment, there he goes again doing it the hard way!

Second comment, you are not thinking like a businessman - why are you heat treating these parts at all? - they are going to last too long.

Another comment. You made the parts out of the wrong steel!

With 0-1 drill rod, look at the difficulty in machining it. Use (SAE) 1144 Stressproof instead. Much easier to machine and heat treat at a lower material cost. In most cases it doesn't even have to be tempered for model engineering or other uses. I just harden it with a torch in less than 10 seconds.(knowing the person who said this I know this is not BS but a comment with a lifetime of experience behind it)

After being told what should have happened for the next half hour, I have to say I learned a lot more about what is actually done out there in the real world vs what one can read. And the parts came out to prove it.

To summarize, all I can say is sometimes TSME meetings get quite lively and they really do treat their President nicely.
Attachments
140 Following Heat Treatment.jpg
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Is there any interest in me making additional ratchet wheels? Just asking.

After marketing the first batch, I can see that the only winner in this game is going to be the financial institutions including P.y..l. Interesting what you learn about being a supplier/seller.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

For the price, I'd take one AND a spare.

Steve
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Just to say fair warning. On the next batch of ratchets, I am going to raise my prices to $8.50 per ratchet and $16. for two plus postage (still the cheapest method via Canada Post).

I admit it, still have things to learn about marketing costs.

This time will only open my mouth when they are ready to ship. The first batch all went to the post office today.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Got mine today. They look great!

Steve