"SOLD" 1" Scale Pufin Billy By Coles

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Postwarbob

"SOLD" 1" Scale Pufin Billy By Coles

Post by Postwarbob »

Another project that will never get done in my shops. Chassis NOT close to operating on air as first stated. Drivers are mounted in frame with looks to be needle bearings on axles. Spring rigging is complete on main drivers. Side and Main rods are done with bronze bearings. Lower half of Cylinders are done with back & front heads done. Pistons are done and in place .Slide valve surface and ports are done .Slide valve Chambers & Covers are cut to size. Crossheads are roughed out. One is mounted. There are also the original cast crossheads inc and they have not been machined. The stack and smoke box & cover are pretty much done which also includes the pettycoat at the base inide the smoke box. The saddle needs machining to fit between cylinders . No valve timing pieces are present. The main barrel of the boiler(copper) has been cut to size and opened up. I have enough copper to finish the fire box & front tube sheet . I have some parts for 1 tender truck. It consists of 2 side frames and 4 journal boxes. They have been machined and the machining on them as well as the rest of the engine looks to be very good. Most of the original prints are inc but a couple are a little rough around the edges. Price will be 500.00 Plus shipping .The RUST is just surfast and will come right off. WD 40 works well with a scotch brite pad. Thanks Bob.........THIS ENGINE HAS BEEN SOLD
Attachments
DSCN9775.JPG
DSCN9777.JPG
DSCN9779.JPG
DSCN5473.JPG
DSCN5468.JPG
DSCN5469.JPG
DSCN5470.JPG
DSCN5472.JPG
Last edited by Postwarbob on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.
mattmason

Re: Pufin Billy By Coles for Sale

Post by mattmason »

Crap, I hope it's 1" scale otherwise I made a grave mistake with mine. ;-)

I would love to see someone build another one of these. I know of only three operating in the entire country. Here is the thread on the building of mine, just finished this year to operating status. http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... =8&t=90151
Matt Mason
Adirondack

Re: 1" Scale Pufin Billy By Coles for Sale

Post by Adirondack »

Does anyone have some more photos of the finished product? It looks like a good candidate to become a forney.

Thanks,

ADK
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
Joe Ng

Post by Joe Ng »

The Coles switcher is one of my favorite engines. It was my first loco build done about 30 years ago and the little engine runs and runs and runs. It took 9 months to build the engine and about a year later to complete the tender. I made the copper boiler, piston rings and all the little fittings except the injector and pressure gauge. It's the first engine at the track at Waushakum in mid April and I just brought it back during Thanksgiving. The loco was completed in 1982 and the cost of the castings, prints and UPS was about $100.00. As a beginner, I had nothing to loose as the cost seemed relatively low. At the time, I had very limited shop equipment and did a lot of the metal cutting by hacksaw. Since then, I accumulated shop equipment in the years that followed. I followed the plans exactly as I recall. The boiler is a little over sized and the tender castings are LE. This is a great beginner's engine that can be a basic build, or you can take it as far as you want.
The following Youtube link is at the old Norfolk St. track in 1983.
http://www.youtube.com/user/training462 ... LQjiuOLHcE
The following link is recent at the Arthur St. track. The very beginning of the video shows the engine, the rest is just around the track:
http://www.youtube.com/user/training462 ... Q0Aorbrn_o
Attachments
At Waushakum Arthur St. track.  Engine is almost 30 years old and runs every season.  Original paint and lettering.
At Waushakum Arthur St. track. Engine is almost 30 years old and runs every season. Original paint and lettering.
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

This engine is a great first project for a newbee. Joe Ng & Matt Mason did a great job on there loco's and they run super. Alot of the machine work has been done and I have the full set of prints. 500.00 Plus shipping buys it. (Copper Boiler pieces are inc) Thanks for looking. Bob..................