My new website

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

OddDuck

My new website

Post by OddDuck »

Hello everyone! I just wanted to post my new site, www.oddduckfoundry.com . I have a number of products for the large scale model train community, and I will be adding more as time goes on. I've been lurking for a while, and finally have something to post.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
FLtenwheeler

Re: My new website

Post by FLtenwheeler »

That is a nice looking set of casting. I am interested in a set of Fox truck castings.

As for the Vulcans, are they going to be like the picture I attached?

Tim
Attachments
vulcan+channel.jpg
fox_truck small.jpg
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Fltenwheeler, the Vulcans I was planning are a bit different than that, possibly an older version. I'll try to get the pic I have that I'm going to use as my prototype on in the next day or so. A friend of mine took a good clear photo of a set at I believe the Ford museum. That's a great pic of the Fox trucks, they should turn out very similar to that pic, the bolster might be a bit different just for ease of moldup. I should have those ready to go by the end of the month or early February.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I am glad someone is making some of the not so common trucks. It will add some variety to our hobby.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Here's the pic of the Vulcan truck that I plan as my prototype:
I kind of had the thought that I would try to fill in some of the blanks as far as some of the different trucks go, you can find Bettendorfs, Arch Bars, Andrews, etc. but how many 1.5" scale Fox trucks are out there? I have a few more besides these two that I plan on doing.
Attachments
Vulcans at the Henry Ford Museum
Vulcans at the Henry Ford Museum
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

How all we need is someone to supply Paper Wheel castings.

Tim
Attachments
allen_paperwheel_adv.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Would you quit reading my mind? Those were going to be a suprise in a couple of months... Yeah, I found info on those a month or so ago and stuck it in my to-do list, I've got about a dozen projects lined up before I can even contemplate doing them, but they are on the list.
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

For those interested in Fox Trucks, here's a pic of a set at the Rockton Ricon Near Columbia South Carolina. Same place as Hampton and Branchville #44.

There's also some drawings of SP style fox trucks CSRRM.

JP
Attachments
Fox Trucks Columbia SC
Fox Trucks Columbia SC
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Was the problem with Fox trucks in the riveted construction, the pivoting, suspension, or just that better technology came along? When did they finally drop from the scene?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I was told by old railroaders,the lifespan of fox trucks were dismal. The pounding of the journals/cellar boxes loosened the framing they ran in with popped rivets and cracking problems. I dunno. I have never seen any pics of damaged or failed units, as the Fox trucks are very few and far between.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Fender

Post by Fender »

There were a variety of built-up steel trucks in addition to the Fox design. They were introduced to take advantage of the greater strength of steel vs. wrought iron and to avoid the problem of loose bolts on the archbar type of truck. Unfortunately, they also introduced other problems as steamin10 notes.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

If you have any truck design requests that are unique to the hobby, or not being produced by others, do get in touch with Peter. He does nice work from drawings and photographs of prototype equipment. He just completed MKT style whistle post boards, too. His foundry is purely a side-line hobby, but he knows how to make nice patterns and knows his metallurgy as well. Wait until you see the line of door knockers he is planning!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."