WTB: "Industrial" looking 6.625"D finished tread wheels

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, gwrdriver

Benjamin Maggi

WTB: "Industrial" looking 6.625"D finished tread wheels

Post by Benjamin Maggi » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:48 am

For a Sweet William project I am pricing out, I am looking for a set of four drivers. In 5" gauge they are finish machined at the tread to 4.625", so I imagine for 7.25" gauge they will machine to around 7." EDIT: They are 7" diameter over the flange, but 6.625" diameter on the treads. (I am not sure as I only have the 5" gauge Sweet Pea book currently- the plans for the Sweet William are on order).

The wheels are essentially discs with a raised area for the crankpin and two holes, either for balancing or just for looks.

There is one gentleman who sells laser-cut parts for the Sweet William but his prices seem a bit steep plus they include other parts that I don't want. Does anyone offer basic drivers, spoked or solid with raised crankshaft area, that would be suitable for this project?

(Pictures of the wheels here: http://www.duncraigworks.talktalk.net/)

Thanks.
Last edited by Benjamin Maggi on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"

makinsmoke

Re: Inquiry about 7" finished tread wheels availability

Post by makinsmoke » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Beej,
Railroad Supply shows a B-5011 drive wheel 7" diameter, 3" stroke in their catalog....

B

Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks. I would know that except when I tried to order a catalog from them several years ago I was told that they didn't sell catalogs anymore. I will give them a call.

Does the 3" stroke mean that the raised crankpin area is 3' from the center of the wheel?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"

makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:18 pm

I'd be afraid to touch that one, although I'd "guess" it was the finished crankpin centerline to centerline as the wheel is rotated.

Probably wrong, though.

:)

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Does the 3" stroke mean that the raised crankpin area is 3' from the center of the wheel?
I would expect that it would be half that. Otherwise the stroke would be doubled. (I'm assuming the 3' is a typo)

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

shayloco

Post by shayloco » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:04 pm

3" stroke means that the center of the crankpin is 1.5" from the center of the wheel.

As the wheel turns the crankpin will move through a circle of 3" diameter. Via the connecting rod, crosshead and piston rod this 3" of motion is transferred to the piston, resulting in a stroke of 3".

-Larry

makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Thanks Larry!

That's what I meant but you said it with so much more clarity....

Brian

Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:58 pm

The Little Engines 0-4-0/0-6-0 switcher wheels are 7" in diameter, with 13 spokes. They have them in both 'light' and 'heavy' counterweighted versions. They are made for a 3" stroke (1 1/2" crankpin to axle center), but I believe that you could make it up to 3 1/4" stroke if you were careful, and definitely less if need-be. I have used these wheel castings several times.