Bagley Oil Burner

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

JKreider

Bagley Oil Burner

Post by JKreider »

I have occasionally been asked where the oil burner originally designed by Dick Bagley can be obtained.
In the way of history, Dick Bagley was a very knowledgeable live steamer who was involved with, for instance, the construction of the Disneyland Railroad and steamboat; published the Miniature Locomotive Magazine from May 1952 to December 1954: built a couple of 1-1/2” scale NYC Hudsons among others: helped many with their steam design and construction problems. I knew him well and learned a lot from him. He passed away in 1984.
Dick designed and sold a “flat” type oil burner which was an “internal mixing” type in that the steam and oil mixed inside the burner rather than an “outside mixing” type basically on which the oil fell into the steam stream. As a result the oil and steam do not have to be played together over a given firing range to maintain a good and proper fire. The burner was fashioned from the principles inherent in the prototype “Sheedy” burner.
Many live steam locomotives have these installed including several of the Berkshires and they work well.
The burner can be obtained from Will Campbell at 714-273-5067. They are $80.00 each including the shipping (USA). Instructions are included.

Jim Kreider
makinsmoke

Re: Bagley Oil Burner

Post by makinsmoke »

Jim,
Thanks for the information.

I had found Will's name on this webpage:
http://home.fuse.net/jasdot/atomizerNoz ... gn.html#f3
a page about oil firing and burners, and tried fishing around for his contact information.

There is also a photo of this burner casting on the webpage.

I had called and left a message on the number I did find but never received a reply.

I'll give him a call.
Thanks again,
Brian
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

That looks a like the old Satna Fe Burner that would burn anything, even what appeared to be road tar. It was an external mixer though.
Last edited by Loco112 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Loco112:

Your comment reminded me of another point about these burners.
The oil slot is big enough to make the burner very tolerant in regard to being able to pass small crud particles. I’ve never found the need to use a fine screen mesh filter with these burners. Use a stainless oil tank of course.

Jim Kreider
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

Can someone post a photo of the Redwood Valley Ry burner for our discussion?

and, of other "Van Boden Ingles" type burners?

I would sure like to dissect them.
David_T

Post by David_T »

There was a half page article in 'Live Steam" in 1984 or 1985 by Harold Timm that was about a flat burner. Two square blocks separated by a brass shim spacer. Sorry I do not have better details. Maybe, someone has a good library and can find more details.
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

The "bolt-together" modular design was the design that "Shop Services" (Stan Mathews) used on their brass burners that they built and sold. These ranged from their smallest the #1, though their largest the #4 (all for full size locomotives). They could all be disassembled and modified easily.

That design is a good starting point for any burner build project.

It consisted of;
(1) top cover, brass sheet, also had a bung for the oil/steam/air inlet.
(2) a milled out middle plate that had a great and the oil and steam passages milled into it.
(3) bottom cover, brass sheet, also had a bung for the other oil/steam/air inlet.

All the ports and mixing and done in the middle section.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

More information on oil burners can be found in this article.

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Oil_burner

Regards,
Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
TEAMTSM

Post by TEAMTSM »

if anyone needs a bagley oil burner i have them in stock please contact me and i can help you out.
steve@tsmenhanced.net