Another run of Flange Tools

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

jtdute

Another run of Flange Tools

Post by jtdute »

I have been asked by few people to do another run of flange tools for 7 1/4" - 7 1/2" gauge standards. This run will be different in the last runs whereas there will be .100 space in the groove (Flange). This will allow one side of flange to be cut then the carriage moved .100” and the other side cut. This will help the lighter machines to be able to form the flange and reduce chatter.
The tool will be 1/2” square, 8% COBALT tool with profile ground on both ends. This profile is ground through the tool so that the toll can be sharpened without affecting the profile.
The last batch of tools cost $126.10 each, I would like to think that cost did not change too much over the last 2 years, but no guarantees and I am not holding my breathe. The price depends on quantity of tools. Below is link to the posts concerning the previous run of form tools.
If you are interested please send me a PM message so I can get numbers together. I will consider making some without the .100” gap in the groove (flange) if there is a desire. I do not accept any payments until tools are ready to ship.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 30&t=83343

Jeff
jtdute

Re: Another run of Flange Tools

Post by jtdute »

I have been asked about including a tool for the 3/4" and 1" folks. The tool would be either 3/8" or 1/4" square tool blank. If there is intest please let me know as well. I dont have a feel for price at this time.

Jeff
GeorgeT

Post by GeorgeT »

I would be interested in a 1 inch tool, please include me on the list for the tool.

George Treneer
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Good to meet you today, Jeff!

Are you grinding or wire cutting them?

Oops....should have looked at the previous post :oops:

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
jtdute

Post by jtdute »

George T, I sent a pm and will pass details when finalized,

Andy, Pleasure meeting you as well, I assume you found your answer, but tools are ground. The profile is through the tool so that these can be sharpend with out altering the shape of the profile.

Jeff
jtdute

Post by jtdute »

Final call for Flange Form Tools. I am doing 3 versions this time at the request of board members here. I am making a single cut and a 2 cut version (.100" gap in root of flange) for 7 1/x gauge and a 3½ & 4¾ dual gauge profile version. The tools are ground on both ends (2 cutting profiles). These tools are able to be sharpened without affecting the integrity of the profile. Current Price is $127.50 each (plus shipping) for the 7 1/x gauge versions and $125.00 each (plus shipping) for the small gauge version. I have sent a message to all individuals that has expressed interest thus far. If there is any others out there that wish to be included let me know.
Jeff
jtdute

Post by jtdute »

Flange form tools are complete and being shipped, contact has been made to all interested parties. If those that expressed interest and have not received a private message or an e-mail please contact me.
Steepleman

Post by Steepleman »

Hi just catching up with posts.....lol
I am interested if you happen to do another run or have any left over for the 7 1/x gauge.

Thanks
Mick
jtdute

Post by jtdute »

I do have a few extra's flange tools available.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Jeff, PM sent.

Jim B
clifwst

Post by clifwst »

PM sent, if one is still available.
jtdute

Post by jtdute »