derelict project request

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Andypullen

derelict project request

Post by Andypullen »

Hi All,

This is an unusual request. A professor where I work asked me if I could donate a running piece of machinery to him for a new class that is starting up. He is looking for something that isn't a car or automotive in nature. What he wants to do with it is: have his students run it....take it apart, so they can see how it works and then draw everything up and reassemble it.

If anybody has anything they'd be willing to donate to the cause; please PM me and I'll forward the email to you. He's a Navy Commander. His name is Ethan Lust.

Thank you!

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Sandiapaul

Re: derelict project request

Post by Sandiapaul »

Neat idea. How about something like a old garden tractor? An old Gravely or similar has lots of neat stuff going on, gearboxes, PTO, and if it had a couple of attachments they could be part of it too, like the mowing deck snowblower, etc. Plus at the end of it. if it were fixed and repaired you would have a saleable item.

Maybe try at local repair places?
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Hi Paul,

The Prof is leaning toward steam powered stuff. Like I said, we have lots of infernal combustion projects....There are several classes just on them.

Somebody discarded an old Rob Roy in a dump a number of years ago....something like that would be perfect.

Thanks!

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

how about a Crescent single cylinder steamboat engine?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jschoenly

Post by jschoenly »

Funny they would come up as I used to own that business... Should you end up in that project and need any castings, parts, or drawings - Let me know I can put you in touch with the guy.
Jared Schoenly

Cabin Fever Expo
Model Engineering of all sorts.....
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

it is sitting here, brand new..collecting whatever stuff in my basement collects...
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Andypullen wrote:Somebody discarded an old Rob Roy in a dump a number of years ago
Boy, I'm diving in the wrong dumpsters!

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

says something about your overall character that you would be diving at all... :shock:
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bill Shields wrote:says something about your overall character that you would be diving at all... :shock:
Call me a "recycler".

Steve
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

A little bit of subject,,
Number one rule for me now days is to make sure no one is sleeping in the dumpster before diving in!!! one night driving home by a chevy dealership I spied a late model Corvette hood poking out the top, a quick u turn at 2 am, yanked it out, threw it in the truck, started doing some more digging when there was some movement in there and came to find out there was another person in there with me waking up from sleeping!! turned into a bit of an awkward feeling situation to say the least!! time to leave! note to self, people sleep in dumpsters in town,,
3 days later sold the hood and made good wages on that one!!! it had a little heat damage in the center from a fire, instead of doing body work, they replaced the whole hood! the new guy was happy to a little work and save a ton of money!!
Grant
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Is it not a "sin" to Lust after a neighbor's locomotive?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."