New Headlamp

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

JBodenmann

New Headlamp

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a photo of the masters for a new headlamp I am working on. The New York Central Hudson made a visit to the shop for a little repair as it was in a tornado and got a bit scratched up. One of the bits that needed repair was the headlamp, it was pretty beat up. Seeing as much of it needed to be replaced, it was decided to just make the whole thing. I have scratch built a couple over the years and decided to make molds this time and have the parts investment cast and then have them available for sale. They will be cast in yellow brass and available assembled and painted. Not quite sure how the reflector will be made, probably spun, or pressed copper nickel plated. They are 1.5 inch scale. Does anyone know if these headlamps had any sort of builders plate on them, and if so what did they look like.
Jack
Attachments
Sunbeam.jpg
Loco112

Re: New Headlamp

Post by Loco112 »

By these hinges, being at the outer ends of the number board doors, you can tell that this is a Subeam (Golden glow). They had a round builders tag riveted onto them.

Check out the photo, thats your light, see the tag on the top right just above the number board;
http://p1.la-img.com/463/11841/3129386_2_l.jpg

Best photos here; http://discoverlivesteam.com/discoverfo ... /index.htm

This might be the tag used by Korean producer of the Sunbeams, maybe some of them were imported; http://uranglass.gooside.com/goldenlight/GGL-4.jpg
r2brick

Post by r2brick »

Great looking parts as always! The Golden Glow Sunbeam full size headlight I have has a very nice clear oval tag, appox. 4.152" x 2.5" length and width. The body of the light is stainless steel or high nickel content rustless steel like Henry Ford used. I could provide photos etc as the tag is spot welded to the body and not to be removed easily. The tag has a fantastic logo not like anything I have ever seen.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you for the info on the headlamp, most useful.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I now have castings in hand and will proceed to make some tooling to form the reflector and assemble the headlamp. The artwork is done for the builders plate and a source for photo engraving them is being sought out. I will keep you informed as to progress.
Jack
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Fyi,
I don't know who held the patent and when it ran out on the "Golden Glow" uranium glass reflector lights used on steam engines. This process was reportedly used on some automobile headlights as well.

Santa Fe began standardizing on the 15" headlight from Electric Service Supply Company on new locos delivered in 1919.

Certainly Sunbeam, Pyle, and some overseas companies manufactured headlights under the term "Golden Glow" as well. Whether they were licensed to do so, or if they just began manufacturing them after the patents ran out is unclear.

The ESSC lights as used by the Santa Fe did not have number boards on the sides, and had a hinged oval plate on the left side for access to the internals. Golden Glow was cast into the plate.

Brian
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
The Sunbeam headlamp is finally finished. I finished up the die to form the reflectors .030" copper. The reflectors will be nickel plated, the one in the photo is just bare copper. I also finished up the artwork for the builders plates and had them photo engraved. The headlamp bodies are yellow brass and the glass for the front is domed. The bulbs will be 12 volt Krypton (very bright ) , with two incandescent bulbs inside to illuminate the number boards which have a 1/16" outer glass and a 3/32" inner flashed glass. Flashed glass is clear glass with a thin layer of colored glass ( white in this case) fused to it . This makes an excellent diffuser. I am now taking orders and will have an introductory price of $400.00 for the first run with a $100.00 deposit. They will only be available assembled and painted. Send me a PM if you are interested. I will be out of town for a week, so I won't be able to respond to your enquiries right away.
Thank You My Friends
Jack
Attachments
Headlamp10.jpg
Headlamp3.jpg
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Hello Jack, The headlight looks great. Tell us about the builders tag. Did you have it engraved or etched?

Vic
For Duty and Humanity
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
The little builders plates were photo engraved. If your eyes are really good, or if you happen to have a magnifying glass you can read all the lettering. too much fun!
Jack
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Thank you Jack. I have ordered two. Beautiful models.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
JD Johnson

Post by JD Johnson »

Jack,

I sent you a PM yesterday. Please reply when you get a chance.

JD Johnson, Morehead and North Fork Railroad Historian
JD Johnson

Post by JD Johnson »

Jack,

I sent you another PM today.

JD Johnson, Morehead North Fork Railroad Historian