Nelson "Aka All Thumbz" New Site

We all have a collection of favorite websites. Use this forum to post and share them!

Moderators: websterz, JackF

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Nelson "Aka All Thumbz" New Site

Postby Marty_Escarcega » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:55 am

Nelson, former moderator of our board has started another Home Machinist Board, looks like another great asset to the Home Machinist Community. He's going around to various metalworking forums and groups posting this:

> If you are a home workshop machinist, you may also want to try out this
> forum, a small, but growing group of home workshop machinists who are
> here to share experiences and have fun. We welcome ALL machine owners,
> including mini-lathe, mini-mill and import owners!
>
> The Hobby-Machinist http://hobby-machinist.com/index.php
>
> JOIN US!
>
> We do NOT disseminate your internet information to third parties, as
> other commercial sites do!

(By the way, Chaski is soley owned by a hobbyist, not commercial in nature, does not harvest or sell email addresses or personal information, the expense to maintain the site has always been borne by the owner with a tiny bit of income from the advertisements at the bottom of the page which does not even begin to support the costs of the site & which is more than tolerable)

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"

randyc

Re: Nelson "Aka All Thumbz" New Site

Postby randyc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:31 pm

And based on my brief membership, this is a mighty fine forum with lots of talented members !

Many thanks to the owner,
Randy C

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:24 am

We now have 17,571 members, 40,969 threads, 380,781 messages. We use Xenforo software. The forum is 6 years old.

Tony Wells runs the forum, not I, and the forum is 501 (c)(3) not for profit. We do not own the posts, the posters do.

I know that I had a rough start on these forums, which I take responsibility for. That was over 6 years ago. Those of you who can let the past die, please feel free to join us and participate in the fun.
Nels
SB 10L Lathe, Burke #4, Van Norman #12
Founder http://www.hobby-machinist.com

Mike Ehlert

Postby Mike Ehlert » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:10 am

Guys
Thanks so much for this site. It has been and will be a valuable resource for me,

Nelson

+Re: Nelson "Aka All Thumbz" New Site

Postby Nelson » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:17 am

You're very welcome, Mike, and so is everyone. Tony runs a nice place.
Nels

spro

Postby spro » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:23 am

Nels. If I gave you a bad time, it was long ago and forgotten. There was extraction of projects and discussions going to different places and I became a little hot about one thing at one time. I would apologize if I actually knew ..but there was a phase there. Sorry man. I was raging about a lot of things until they put the clampers on me. I put the clampers on myself also. Okay that's why it is the "Friendly" site. It is very good and I will tie my fingers together. Around that time a new update to Win will light up the pc's to vocal transfer when we don't know it.
That could be another problem except that light in the sky , isn't a downed helicopter. We haven't seen it yet and it isn't particularly friendly.
Sure I will regret this reply. I do think we are deluding ourselves to not know the reasons that so many of us are in stress.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:38 am

Spro,

I apologize for being a jerk when I first came on these forums. I didn't mean to be, but I felt disrespected, and got my irish up. I would love to forgive and forget and be civil to everyone. Some people at HSM and PM won't let that happen, and I can't convince them. They seem to live to insult others and each other, and George allows and enables it. I hope that you and I and at least some of the people here can move on and be friends. I don't want to hold grudges, especially after 6 years. Life is too short. I am very grateful to Marty and Harold for letting me back.

The H-M site is not for profit 501c3 now. I did the application for the site. All money from donations and advertising goes back into the site so that it is self-funded. It won't ever be commercial or sold to commercial like HMEM was. No one makes a buck off it. I don't run it, Tony Wells and the staff do. I handle the software, backup, and technical issues. I chair the board of directors, and hold 1 vote.

We don't allow politics, because it causes flaming, and because H-M is a machinist site, not a political site. We stay on topic, or try to. Yes, we are zero tolerance for fighting and insults there. We toss people off who have to cause drama and flames. Or people who have their own agenda. Hostility has to be kept off site, and that includes me and all staff.

Nels
Last edited by Nelson on Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nels

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Postby Marty_Escarcega » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:41 am

Indeed, lets not go there on the subject of politics. I would prefer to let this thread die now. Enjoy our site for what it is meant for.
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:38 am

Marty,

Agreed.
Nels

b4autodark

Postby b4autodark » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Joined this site yesterday, browsed around, really enjoyed it, today 2/7/17 can't access it today. Anyone else having a problem with getting on it?

b4autodark

Postby b4autodark » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:31 am

Never mind, the site seems to work fine today.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:09 am

b4autodark wrote:Never mind, the site seems to work fine today.

Sorry about that. I had a problem with a new style and then with a Xenforo update, and had to restore a backup of the entire site.
All is well now...
Nels

Return to “Favorite Metal Working Websites”